Lovelace Card Order is Baffling

I don’t want stacks. I don’t want YAML. I’m a simple user who uses the graphical UI. I have cards. I add one, it defaults to the bottom. I want it at the top. And it’s an absolute pain to make that happen. That’s default experience for non power users who see an edit button, see arrows, and then struggle. Please take this as feedback. It’s not convenient or obvious. It can be simplified.

5 Likes

I think you can drag the card as well but it will end up jumping around if you don’t use stacks.

Write it down, make a feature request at Github or here in this very forum and see how people vote. :slight_smile: If your idea and description are good, I’m sure someone will notice and develop something.

But my guess is, there won’t be a feature request, because in thinking your idea through, you will notice, that this is not easy to achieve, nor easy to write down…but that’s just a guess. :slight_smile:

Having used other dashboard building UIs (Grafana, Kibana, CloudWatch) I assure you it’s possible. There are certainly more user friendly ways to allow dashboards to be graphically designed via a UI (dynamically re-sizeable and moveable widgets with non-baffling ordering/adjustment behavior)

Heck, even “move to top” functionality would be a super simple way to solve my biggest pain point.

1 Like

Im happy to report…

That a year an a half since my last post in this thread…

Im still baffled. Carry-on.

Stacks can be added through the UI, same with the grid view, which is probably what you want. And just as @DavidFW1960 said, make a feature request if you want the functionality to change. Voicing your displeasure on a random thread on the forums will not get feedback to the developers.

I’m not arguing with you, that it is possible. I know few designs, that are good for such purposes. I said, “do the first steps to make it better in this case”. :wink:

As easy as it seems to be, it is nothing but a PITA to even write down a good concept for such a task. And that’s why there will never be a perfect system. In an UI, that is handling such a load of different and always changing sensors, you will have to make one or two compromises, and that’s always the point, where people jump in and say it’s not good. Grafana is a database interface, can’t get any easier… :wink:

Write down a good concept for an UI in HA, and I can promise you, there will be someone who will develop it. But as I said above, you wouldn’t be the first, that is giving up, and you won’t be the last. :wink:

Thanks for describing this logic.
It seems that there are a bug in “horizontal-stack” card. If i add one square button then it’s cardHeight is about one column_width, it’s ok. If i add several (n) square buttons then the real cardHeight decreases to column_width / n . But it seems like ui calculate it as column_width * n as for vertical-stack. This problem appears in HA 0.116 or 0.117 and not corrected yet.
Could you help me find this code in github?

1 Like

Something is clearly broken when using things like grid or horizontal stack in the first column.

Card 2 is a grid. If I move it to position 5 for example the layout suddenly looks much more sane: