Lovelace freezes, only unfreezes when browser is manually refreshed

Before I open an issue with @thomasloven on hass-browser_mod, I wanted to check with the HA community to see if a) I’m missing something obvious or b) someone has an idea on how to figure out this issue and fix it.

Background/Issue
After running with no issues for over 18 months, I’m now having an problem where a Lovelace dashboard (on a Dell touchscreen monitor) freezes periodically. **When I say “freezes” I mean no states are being updated visually in Lovelace, and nothing is responsive to touch (buttons, toggles, more-info, etc). This is only within Lovelace as far as I can tell - meaning the touchscreen still works fine if I press anything outside the Lovelace dash - like another bookmark (from the toolbar for example), or hit the refresh or home button, or anything in the toolbar. So it appears to be specific to Lovelace.

This is a 24" Dell touchscreen monitor, running Chrome 88.0.4324.150, connected to a WIN10 machine. I thought I would get lucky because I DO know exactly when it last updated - because I have a digital clock card in Lovelace that gets frozen at whatever time it locked up. I have inspected the HA logs at, and around, the “freeze time” and there is nothing that jumps out at me in the logs as unusual.

The only thing that fixes it is a manual refresh of the browser, either via hitting the refresh button on the browser, or selecting a bookmark that points to the URL for my Lovelace dashboard.

I’ve tried:

1. Running service.browser_mod.window_reload - the documentation says this service is the same as hitting the refresh button on the browser. I’ve tried it with, and without, including a deviceID in the service call, and neither seem to work at all.
  2. Running service.browser_mod.lovelace_reload - this shouldn’t work, and it didn’t, but I’m grasping at straws at this point.

How else can I troubleshoot this to determine the underlying issue, and get this fixed?

EDIT: While I do not know that this freezing issue is related to browser_mod, I do have a browser_mod related error in my logs:

Logger: homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection
Source: custom_components/browser_mod/helpers.py:47
Integration: Home Assistant WebSocket API (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 10:00:16 AM (4 occurrences)
Last logged: 10:00:35 AM

[139759402283696] Error handling message: Unknown error
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/connection.py", line 95, in async_handle
    handler(self.hass, self, schema(msg))
  File "/config/custom_components/browser_mod/connection.py", line 42, in handle_update
    devices[deviceID].update(msg.get("data", None))
  File "/config/custom_components/browser_mod/connection.py", line 92, in update
    self.media_player = self.media_player or create_entity(
  File "/config/custom_components/browser_mod/helpers.py", line 47, in create_entity
    adder = hass.data[DOMAIN][DATA_ADDERS][platform]
KeyError: 'media_player'

I am experiencing also freezes, since latest core updates…

When I open a “more info” , if i then close it, my Lovelace freezes for about 4-5 seconds

Mines good to go when I am able to interact/click anything in Lovelace - but it just freezes randomly.

Mine is freezing when I create a new Dashboard.

So when you have multiple dashboards only?

Yes, it is the 4th Dashboard and newest that freezes. The others are fine.

Ah , and only when closing the “more info” dialog like i described?

I’ve been battling with this for more than a year now - surely must be a fix? What is everyone else doing to continuing working when lovelace freezes?

1 Like