Lovelace: Group card

Thanks for this! I have a couple groups that are auto created for tracking battery levels of z-wave devices. Any new battery device added to the system will automatically get added to the group. I was afraid switching to lovelace was going to ruin this setup if i had to statically define all the battery sensors. This lets me continue to use my auto created groups just like before.

Would it be possible to also filter te entities by domain? So you specify a group and a domain for example: group.living_room and domain lights.

Then this card returns all entities inside group.living_room which are lights?

Might this be extended to support light groups?

I need light groups so that my smart home assistants (google, Alexa etc) can control then as lights. Ideally this card with with with those light groups, rather than only working with ā€œgroupsā€. Otherwise I have to define my light groups twice to use this cardā€™s great features.

Thanks,

James

Recently all my group-card entries in Lovelace stopped showing. I tried several approaches to solve this but nothing really did help. Until I discovered I could force the card entry to visualize itself by leaving out the detailed card options.

The following does not show a group card in my lovelace UI:

- type: custom:group-card
  card:
    type: entities
    title: Group card
  group: group.bedroom

However the following lines make the group card to appear again:

- type: custom:group-card
  group: group.bedroom

Strange thing is that the detailed variant does not only stop the group card entry, but also blocks all other (non-group) cards entries as well (leading to a complete empty tab). The only way to fix this is via the raw configuration editor.

Anyone experienced the same and knows how to solve this? At the moment I can use the group card customization, but cannot give the entries a proper title.

Thanks, Dennis

(btw: running the latest version HA v0.106.5 and group-card v0.0.3)

Have you changed the url in your lovelace to the new one if you use HACS for installation:

/hacsfiles/group-card/group-card.js

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately did that already, no difference.

Both

- type: module
    url: /hacsfiles/group-card/group-card.js?v=0.0.3

and

- type: module
    url: /community_plugin/group-card/group-card.js?v=0.0.3

give the same (faulty) behavior.

Also tried to clear the brwoser cache. Any other ideas perhaps? What strikes me is that I can use the mod, but with the type options. Also it did work correcty some weeks ago. I think is may be affected by one of the recent update actions. But if Iā€™m the only one experiencing this it might be hard to figure out what is causing this behavior.

Dennis

The point of using HACS endpoints is you donā€™t need to add?v=0.0.3 to the end. You donā€™t need to worry about versions.

you could leave the group card and use custom:auto-entities card which has facilities you might like: https://github.com/thomasloven/lovelace-auto-entities#filters

2 Likes

@DavidFW1960: correct, was just checking if it did make a difference just in case. Thanks anyhow.

@Mariusthvdb: good point, but I liked the simplicity of the group-card and it bothered me why it suddenly stopped working.

The auto-entities card is indeed a much better alternative to the group-card. Funny thing is that I had it already installed, but never found the time to use it and forgot about it later. The dynamic behavior indeed better serve my needs.

So the group-card problem is not solved for me, but since I will not use it anymore I will not follow-up on this.