Lovelace help

very new to HA, some would call me a noob…anyways, I am at the point of organizing my stuff, like you do. Why oh why does my ui-lovelace.yaml show different then what I know I have and what shows in the raw config in config ui? Changes I make in ui-lovelace.yaml do not show? The raw config is more complicated as it does not show indent vertical lines. Is there sumting wrong with the file? Can I use another editor or am I editing the wrong file. Sumting very wrong here, sumting, I dunno. Seriously though, please help the needy. I tried the raw config and can not format right, plus the view and card titles appear at the bottom of the section where as if I did it from scratch they would be at the top for good flow.

do you have lovelace in your config?

lovelace:
  mode: yaml

You can’t edit/use ui-lovelace.yaml if you are using the built in GUI for lovelace. You can use one or the other.

following @jasondreher’s directions, you’ll be able to use ui-lovelace.yaml but you won’t be able to configure via the GUI.

thank you!

thank you, will add that!

Is there an easy way to go from use of yaml mode to GUI editing mode without losing what I have already configured? Do I need to create my interface from scratch when I switch?
A second question. It isn’t clear to me how the vertical-stack is used in GUI mode. How do I specify what cards are to be vertically linked?

I would make a copy of the lovelace.yaml and then try to convert. If you can’t, when in GUI mode, there is a raw editor that is just the lovelace.yaml text embedded. You can cut and paste the lovelace.yaml into the raw editor to use your yaml lovelace.

I copy the lovelace file in .storage to backup my GUI lovelace.

For examples you can check my github page:

Https://www.github.com/jimz011/HA

@RobDYI’s method is by far the best for conversion. I don’t think there’s a convert button as lovelace was ‘beta’ during the yaml age.