Lovelace: Mini Media Player

Is it possible to replace automatic elements of the player with other sensor data? For example, I’m using my Chromecast Audio named “Basement speaker” to stream radio stations. When I stream a station, the default player looks like this:

Separately, I’ve created scrape sensors to obtain the current song and artist of a radio station. I can display that information in a separate entities card:

What I’d like to do is to combine the two, so that the mini media card displays sensor.kgbi_songname instead of Basement speaker and sensor.kgbi_artist instead of Default Media Receiver. Is this possible? I’m looking through the many options of the card but not seeing a way to accomplish this.

Hi @kalkih, in the latest version (V1.12), the card does not fetch the defined media player icon. It shows the default ‘cast’ icon for all media players.

I have echo dot integrated as media player, is there any example how to setup the shortcut to play amazon music or playlist?

Sorry I’ve never tried it. Are you using Alexa Media Player? You’d need to check if it supports playing playlists. I suspect it doesn’t.

1 Like

I can also confirm this…

Screenshot 2021-01-08 at 17.10.43

I’ve partially solved this myself using the Lovelace card-templater card (Jinja2 card templating in Lovelace!). I replaced the name with a template and hid the “Default Media Receiver.” I’d still prefer to be able to replace that element as well. Anyway, my new card’s code is:

type: 'custom:card-templater'
card:
  type: 'custom:mini-media-player'
  entity: media_player.office_speaker
  artwork: material
  hide:
    info: true
  tts:
    platform: google_translate
    entity_id: media_player.office_speaker
  name_template: '{{ states.sensor.kgbi_artist.state }} - {{states.sensor.kgbi_song.state }}'
entities:
  - sensor.kgbi_artist
  - sensor.kgbi_song

Which gets me this:

I’m about 90% satisfied with this setup. All that’s left is to nest this inside a conditional that displays this card if I’m actually listening to KGBI, otherwise it will display a basic card. Then if I can capture the album art as I’ve written about here: Scrape Help Needed for Radio Station, I’d like to template the background to be the result of that scrape.

nice song brother;)

Hello,

First of all what a beautiful card!

im missing one small thing. When i use the default original media player card there’s a button (when using spotify) that give me direct access to the media browser.

is that also possible with Mini Media Player?

I do have a strange behavior with mini-media-player since a few weeks
Every time when I open home assistant on my phone or even on my computer it takes a while till mini-media-player is loaded. First it shows me that the custom component cannot be found. but after a few moments it is loaded (see attached gif)

That would be possible if the frontend allowed it, currently it doesn’t. See: Ability to fire the media browser from any card as an action · Issue #7145 · home-assistant/frontend · GitHub

ok thanks!

If you click the mini-media-player card the media browser button appears in the popup window.

Overnight I have lost the icons on all my mini-media players.

Screenshot_2021-01-23 Overview - Home Assistant

Cache refresh did not help. Happening on all my browsers, Firefox, Chrome, Safari.

type: 'custom:mini-media-player'
entity: media_player.lounge_av_rx
group: true
icon: 'mdi:audio-video'
min_volume: '20'
name: Lounge Amp
toggle_power: false
hide:
  power_state: true

Anyone else seeing this?

Same here… just noticed.

1 Like

There’s an issue open. Though it has little detail.

I’m trying to use the group configuration to obtain a setup like the docs (see below):

My audio setup is I have 2 Sonos AMPS that connect to either living_room or outside so I have:

media_player.living_room
media_player.outside

I used the following YAML:

type: entities
entities:
  - type: 'custom:mini-media-player'
    entity: media_player.multiroom_player
    source: icon
    info: short
    hide:
      volume: true
      power: true
    entity: media_player.living_room
    hide:
      controls: true
    entity: media_player.outside
    hide:
      controls: true

and get this result:

Ideally I think I’m supposed to have the media_player.multiroom_player control the source, play, pause, next and then the power buttons for media_player.living_room and media_player.outside are controlled by the power buttons.

I have looked and can’t figure out how to setup the media_player.multiroom_player which would control the stations from my sonos system. Hopefully someone has this working with Sonos and it’s easy. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

This card does not create a media_player.

hello you made a very nice card could you share the configuration? thanks in advance

I have a question and a response to Jarne_Roussard:

Question: So it appears like I need to setup a media player to act as the source. I have Sonos which I thought was a media player but it doesn’t appear to be working if I put in in the yaml in the place of media_player.multiroom_player. Does everyone setup a separate media player on their machines?

The card first shown in my request above is developed by Kalkih and can be found here:

Yes this whole thread is about that custom card.

Sonos is a media_player integration. You need to set it up of course. https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/sonos/ and can be used in this card.