Lovelace: Mini Media Player

That does indeed look cool, however it’s not possible to achieve with this card, since each mini-media-player has no control of what’s outside its own card, if you understand what I mean.

To achieve this, the background would have to be set on the card that wraps/groups the mini-media-players. I’m not sure if such a card exists, if not, it shouldn’t be hard to create one, like a custom version of the entities card with a background option.

Oh that’s a pity. Wondering whether we could use a picture element to wrap around the media-player cards? What do you think?

@kalkih quick side question. How did you create that gif?

I’'ve not played around with picture-element but maybe, let me know if you try it.

I’m using this app on mac, works pretty good :smiley:

Could you share your theme please (both light & dark)? I am really digging the accent color.

1 Like

Sure, the light theme is actually just the default theme.
Here is my dark theme.

1 Like

awesome, thanks!

1 Like

I have been looking forward to this media player in lovelace. I really liked the old one, but loving the new one <3. Any chance you will add the button-functionality as well?

I noticed, that the source picker is not all visible on the screen, when using the iOS app. I have the source picker visible on the card. Anyone else with that problem?

What button functionality are you referring to?

Does it not show up at all, or is it invisible? Make sure to set show_source: true in your card
I just tried in the iOS app, shows up fine for me. Although In the current release, v0.7 there is an issue with the visibility of the source text when artwork: cover is set.

The buttons can be seen in the configuration.yaml in this project: https://github.com/cpiekacz/home-assistant-mini-media-player

I only see the left part of the list, where 3 letters are visible, the rest is not visible in on screen.

I won’t be adding that feature. Take a look at button-card for a possible solution.

Oh, I see! I’ve fixed that issue, the dropdown now expands to the left (instead of right). I will release a new version including that fix later today!

Sweet :smiley:

Ye, I already tried the button-card. It works OK, but it leaves a space between the two cards, unfortunately, even if I put it into a vertical-stack card first, so I thought a full integration would probably look way better. But that is alright with me. Just had to ask ;D

1 Like

New version: v0.8

Changelog

• Added: hide_controls option to hide media control buttons #6

• Added: hide_volume option to hide volume control #6 & #8

• Added: short_info option to limit the media information to one line

• Added: scroll_info option to limit the media information to one line and scroll through potential overflowing text.

• Changed: source select dropdown button changed from icon to source text + icon to make it easier to click.

• Fixed: source select dropdown no longer expands outside of the screen area

• Fixed: elements like title and source becoming hard to see with artwork: cover and dark backgrounds.

• Fixed: wrong url in readme #9

4 Likes

hide_volume doesn’t work for me

cards:
  - type: custom:mini-media-player
    entity: media_player.spotify
    artwork: cover
    show_source: true
    hide_power: true
    hide_volume: true

and how do you make the player card so thin?

Looks like you might not be on the latest version? Make sure to change the ver= at the end of your reference in ui-lovelace.yaml after you get new versions.

resources:
  - url: /local/mini-media-player.js?ver=0.8
    type: module

This ensures that the browser loads the new code and not the old version from cache.

Setting hide_volume and/or hide_controls to true will make the player collapse to one row.

1 Like

that was it indeed. brilliant, thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the show source feature. Its perfect and together with the hide_controls it makes the player super slim.
I have one thought thou. We have both the options of hide_volume and hide_controls and when you choice to set hide_controls then volume control is obviously still there but the mute function disappears. I don´t know what you or others think but I would see the mute function as part of the volume controls and make it visible until you choice to do hide_volume: true.

What do you think?

1 Like

You’re right, that makes more sense. I’ll probably add the mute button back in the next release and possibly add one more option to hide the mute button instead.
The reason to hide the mute button was made to save some horizontal space when shrinking the card to one row with hide_controls.

Thats understandable. At least for me the volume slider could be shorter to make room for mute button to the left even when the card is only one row.