Low latency presence detection

WOW, that’s so simple. thanks for the explanation

Its 100% reliable and doesn’t use any network. I use it to open a car gates / turn on lights which need to work all the time. Although I think you need to buy in a pair, you only need one receiver attache to the pi for 5 transmitters. I wired it to the back of a wall wart.

Can it also provide location information (something like Automatic) may be with some modification?

All it tells you is that the transmitter is within 1km of the receiver. I should mention that 1km is line of sight with 1 house wall and car walls in between. If you are in an apartment building or the receiver is poorly located, distance will vary.

I have been messing around with geofences, tasker & autolocation way longer than I care to mention. I love it when the lights turn on after I’ve been in the house for 5 minutes, lol

For the last several days I’ve been reading about BLE Beacons but think the delay would be similar to what I’m experiencing now, so I’m ready for a new direction.

I have several USB ports in the car to plug into. Is the wire in your picture an antennae?
I didn’t know the rpi_gpio platform even existed until I saw your explanation. Thanks again

You are suppose to uncurl the antennae on the transmitter in the picture. I have my pi in my basement located near where all the phone wires end up. I used a unused phone wall outlet to put my receiver in. I then transmitted the power and other wires from the pi to my front 2nd floor room for the receiver. The car gate is fully open by the time I pull up to the house in a medium density suburban neighborhood. You need to put a little programming into your automations because the binary sensor will flicker at first which might cause problems.

The latest version that is currently in beta testing is MUCH better about beacons. I’ve gotten reports that detection time is less than 60 seconds of entering a beacon area now.

2 Likes

How about WiFi/MQTT car presence sensor for garage door automation.
Working beautifully for me for over 3 months.

I gotta ask when do you expect a release?

Beta testing is already well underway in #devs_ios on Discord, PM me your first/last name and email address here to join the beta.

@RobDYI, when you start up your car, how long does it take for the signal to get to your rPi?

There is no delay from transmitter to receiver. (light speed) I turn on my car and the lights turn on instantaneously and the car gate begins to open. I use if my the house door to my car has been open in the past 5 min to determine if I’m leaving or coming.

Gonna give it a try, ordered yesterday. Thanks for your help.

This is remarkably unsecure. If you are only detecting a signal on Pin 1, then ANY 433MHz transmitter will be detected.

I have never got a false signal even between the two channels I use. The reason this device worked at such far distances compared to other 433 devices I’ve tried is because i believe the receiver and transmitter are finely tuned to each other. I agree that if someone bought the same device and brought it to my house and found the correct channels (not too hard, 2 of 5) then they could open my car gate and turn on my lights. (or they could hop the gate)

https://www.solidremote.com/blog/what-is-ask-and-ook-modulation/

Here is a good resource for wiring.

http://wiki.seeedstudio.com/2KM_Long_Range_RF_link_kits_w_encoder_and_decoder/

1 Like

Im not sure if this will help you, but I use this and it works great!!

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/homekit-as-a-presence-sensor/50370/5

After 6 years of successfully using this sensor the range has been lost. Still works if I put both transmitter & receiver in the house but not from the car. This unit has been out of stock for a long time and I need a replacement. Can anyone rcommend a long distance RF replacement?

I would make sure the antenna’s are not damaged (length is important) and they are getting the correct power. I have had no issue with mine except I switched from using a wall wart to a usb plug for the 5v. Good luck.

Hey Rob thanks for the reply. Mine has been really great for 6 years, no complaints. I have been using USB since the beginning and from what I can see antenna’s are fine. But being in a very hot/cold car may have just done them in. I installed them and forgot them till I started having an issue, lol. Thanks