LUNOS Heat Recovery Ventilation (HRV) fan control

A big change happened recently in Home Assistant to remove all the old fan control mechanisms. This has changed how to interact with fans in HA now.

For LUNOS integration there are no preset modes “low”, “medium”, “high” for LUNOS since these vary by fan (plus some have “turbo”).

If you set LUNOS fan speed by setting a percentage this should work and change the LUNOS’s speed.

Currently the only supported presets:

• off (which only turns fans off IF the LUNOS controller is set to three speeds + off, otherwise it will be on slowest speed when “off”)

• summer (if your LUNOS supports summer ventilation)

turn_off() should only turn both W1 and W2 switches off…it doesn’t necessarily turn the fan off.

I just checked into the master branch changes which should allow presets based on speed names to actually work and map into appropriate percentages. This is still in beta testing, but should resolve the issues and actually support both 3 and 4-speed LUNOS controller settings.

After update from Master error on reboot:

Logger: homeassistant.components.websocket_api.messages
Source: components/websocket_api/messages.py:199
Integration: Home Assistant WebSocket API (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 09:53:25 (2 occurrences)
Last logged: 09:53:25

Unable to serialize to JSON. Bad data found at $.event(Event: state_changed).data.old_state(State: fan.pervyi_etazh).attributes.preset_modes[2]=dict_keys(['off', 'low', 'medium', 'high'])(<class 'dict_keys'>, $.event(Event: state_changed).data.new_state(State: fan.pervyi_etazh).attributes.preset_modes[2]=dict_keys(['off', 'low', 'medium', 'high'])(<class 'dict_keys'>
Unable to serialize to JSON. Bad data found at $.event(Event: state_changed).data.old_state(State: fan.vtoroi_etazh).attributes.preset_modes[2]=dict_keys(['off', 'low', 'medium', 'high'])(<class 'dict_keys'>, $.event(Event: state_changed).data.new_state(State: fan.vtoroi_etazh).attributes.preset_modes[2]=dict_keys(['off', 'low', 'medium', 'high'])(<class 'dict_keys'>

Trying to set preset mode:

Эта ошибка возникла в кастомной интеграции.

Logger: custom_components.lunos.fan
Source: custom_components/lunos/fan.py:356
Integration: LUNOS Heat Recovery Ventilation (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 09:58:36 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 09:58:36

LUNOS preset 'high' is not valid: ['eco', 'summer', dict_keys(['off', 'low', 'medium', 'high'])]

There is still no reaktion and no errors if i try to set persentage or turn off the Fan.

Dear Community,

I have several Lunos e2 fans in my house. I am very happy about the possibility of controlling them easily via HomeAssistant with the hass-lunos integration. The control via the service fan.set_percentage with the levels 0, 33, 66 and 99 works wonderfully. I can also call up fan.turn_on with the preset_mode low, medium or high. In both cases, the fan goes into the desired state.

However, I now have the problem that the display of the fan speed in the feature area of the new tile card is not correct. At the low level, the tile card displays “50 %” and the feature area displays an icon for level 2. Otherwise, the tile card behaves as desired - medium and high are OK. The setting of the desired level via the feature buttons also works fine. However, if you select level 1 here, the display jumps to level 2 - but the fan is actually running at the desired low level. The display for level 1 / low is simply not correct.

Below is a picture. Küche is off (OK!), living room is low (incorrect display), toilet is medium (OK!) and HWR is high (OK!).

Does anyone know where this problem comes from and how it can be solved?

Thank you very much and Happy Easter!

Hello everyone,I’m Steffen and new to Home Assistant. Sorry if this is such a stupid question, but where do I have to do step 2 in the instructions? “Step 2: Configure Home Assistant
LUNOS Controllers require a pair of switches (W1 and W2) to control the speed of the fans (as well as other features).
Configuration is required to assign the Home Assistant accessible W1 and W2 switches for the fan controller to use in
operating the LUNOS fan controller.”

Thanks in advance Steffen

Hi

I’m the Tech Lead for the Norwegian distributor for Lunos and thought I’m might be able to help with some of your questions.
There are two ways to integrate Lunos with Home Assistant (and other systems);

1. Via the Universal Controller (UNI-FT or UNI-RF) with a 2ch relay for example Fibaro Smart Implant
  2. Via Smart Comfort (SC-FT or SC-RF) with a 0-10V controller, for example Qubino Flush Dimmer 0-10V

Option 1 - With UNI-FT/UNI-RF you’ll need to connect the three wires (black, red and grey) to the relay. Black is common and red should be connected to channel 1 and grey to channel 2 on the relay. NB the channels can not have any voltage, they’re purely binary inputs.
When correctly connected you’ll have 4 different fan levels available. These levels are decided by turning the “wheel” on the controller to the number that indicates the different m3/h air exchange you want.
Ch 1 and 2 OFF = level 0 (off or lowest level depending on the position of the “wheel” on the controller)
Ch 1 ON and ch 2 OFF = level 1
Ch 1 OFF and ch 2 ON = level 2
Ch 1 and 2 ON = level 3

Grå=grey
Rød=red
Sort=black

Option 2; via SC-FT/SC-RF you’ll connect a 0-10V controller to the 0-10V input on the smart comfort. The wheel should NOT be in the position that says 0-10V, but rather the correct type of fan you want to control.
Connection should look like the picture in the following post (can only embed 1 picture pr post)

Then we get to programming. You can find the correct input values from the 0-10V controller to smart comfort in the picture below. As you can see the values are close to each other so I recommend measuring the voltage on the output from the 0-10V controller as there can be 0,1-0,2V (maybe even more) difference between input and output.
100% =10V, 50%=5V and so forth.

The values on the left side are with heat recovery while the right side are without heat recovery.

NB; you need to program the 0-10V controller with set values, non-dimmable.

Hope this helps

BR Haavard

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you for the information. A have a few questions:

1. You mentioned that Smart Comfort module is required to have 0-10V control of the system. But in the documentation https://www.lunos.de/files/Downloads/Einbauanleitungen/Einbauanleitung_5UNI-FT_E206_ab-SN-200.000.pdf it seems that Universal Controler supports this as well. Also Lunos Ventilation Fan - ESPHome mentions this possibility. Could you clarify?
  2. Do you know if there is a way with 0-10V control to turn off ventilation completely? Maybe Stage 0 means that it is off?

Thanks!

1. Yes, you’re right. It should be possible to use 0-10V on the universal controller too. The reasoning behind splitting it to one control possibilty for each produkt is that with the smart comfort and 0-10V you will have a display that indicates the levels and modes, but with the universal controller you won’t. I’m a strong believer in having physical buttons/controls for the most essential functions (especially ligthing).
  2. correct, stage 0 is OFF with smart comfort, but if you have humidity control that function will still override it. that’s one of the reasons why we, at least in Norway, don’t recommend humidity control unless that particular smart comfort or universal controller is located in a bathroom or other rooms/areas where the humidity fluctuates a lot AND the connected product(s) is used for exhaust air.

Two notes/comments on the posts above;

1. make sure that not all 4 LEDs on the smart comfort display is active at the same time with one of them with more intensity. that means that humidity control is active. I don’t know of a way to activate that via 0-10V commands. So I recommend to manually deactive it by a single touch on the symbol with two drops. if you want to use humidity as an input for control I recommend using an individual sensor.
  2. If you want to have a way to manually adjust the level of ventilation with a universal controller it’s worth considering using the impulse input method instead. if not the physical button will not indicate the same as home assistant

hope that answers your questions :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is amazing! I can’t wait to dive into this.
One question if you have the time, is the example relay that is mentioned in the github readme references the 5V USB “WiFi Relay Switch Module” (from Amazon) that can be used after it is flashed with Sonoff. I am having difficulty with this step (I have this unit in my possession) as I’m not sure what the “name” of this relay is in order to flash it with the proper file. Do you happen to know the chipset of this relay in question? It comes with the eWelink software natively. Thanks again!
Matthew

I have the same :frowning:

might be related to:

Converting from speeds to percentage

When converting a fan with 3 speeds from the old fan entity model, the following percentages can be used:

0 - off 33 - low 66 - medium 100 - high

Digged a bit deeper, the Problem:
33.333333333333336% is the returned value for low which is > 33% and so its mid… same for mid etc… i try to sort that out a bit on my own and maybe fork it if iam able to solve that

Nope, currently the integration reports 25% fan speed when its turned off and so 50% with low, 75% with medium and 100% with high… So for whatever reason, off is still counting as an state which SHOULD NOT be the case.

And the reason is found but iam unable to fix that (no python skills):

This one is return “off” as well, but this shouldnt be the case. So if someone knows howto remove a item from a list temporary JUST for this case, let me know and we have fixed the UI bug :slight_smile:

Anyone with some experience with new Lunos devices branded I-VENT that now support cloud access and control of your Lunos devices? As far as I can see noone has been working on HA integration?

Best!

D.

I’d like to implement this. Do you know if there’s a ZigBee or WiFi/Bluetooth variant of such a controller? I looked into Shelly products but the 0-10V Dimmer controller from them doesn’t seem to work with this solution.

Hi @MrFreezeman

I’m sorry for the late response. We use Qubino’s 0-10V Flush Dimmer. That works well.
Remember to measure the actual output voltage from the Qubino to make sure that it’s within the range for the different levels.

Okay, thanks! Have you ever managed to control the 5/SC-FT with it (not only the UNI-FT) for a multi-fan installation?

0-10V is the only way to control SC-FT. UNI-FT can be controlled via 0-10V but also via a 2 channel relay.
use the voltage values in my earlier post to get the correct levels/steps. if you do that the SC-FT will mirror the correct level that’s activated through home assistant. it will not work the other way around though. SC-FT will receive commands but not confirm back. you might experience that commands from home assistant won’t work after you’ve pushed a button on the SC-FT. that’s just temporary though. after and hour or two it will work again.
another note on the SC-FT. there’s no voltage value that for the functions that are activated via sun, moon, drops and window. you have to use logic blocks to imitate these functions and the SC-FT will not indicate/mirror anything.