Lutron Caseta Integration Troubleshooting - Telnet Not Working

Hello all,

So I currently use the custom Lutron integration and was hoping to move everything to the core Lutron Caseta Integration.

After installing it and configuring the integration I notice this error in the logs:

Failed to connect to via LIP at 192.168.30.10:23, Pico and Shade remotes will not be available; Enable Telnet Support in the Lutron app under Settings >> Advanced >> Integration

Telnet is configured in the Lutron Smart Bridge PRO. I’m able to use Putty on a separate computer and I can see messages being sent when I press buttons on a Pico and/or other switches. The IP for the smart bridge is static (192.168.30.10).

My Home Assistant setup is as follows. It runs as Hass OS 2021.6.3 (Hass.IO VM) inside an unRAID Server. I’m wondering if this is a network setting and/or something is blocking the Telnet from the HA machine to the PRO Smart Bridge. I’ve tested it from 2 computers and I know the Telnet service is working.

Any thoughts/suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you

2 Likes

The only thing I can find related is this issue in the HA repo, but I have the L-BDGPRO2 bridge and telnet is also enabled. I can telnet from the HA instance to the Caseta IP, but still getting this error. :thinking:

Just my two cents… I’ll keep poking around and checking back here. I’ll update if I find anything. Might need to open a new issue.

1 Like

Thank you. I have an issue opened in GitHub. The bots have now since closed it since no action.

Is this the right place for an issue to be reported?

I think so, but it looks like that was closed as stale.

I dug in and eventually found this forum post, which indicated it would eventually display the login prompt that the underlying library was looking for after 30 seconds. However the library was timing out after 10 seconds.

I opened an issue with the aiolip library, and with Home Assistant (here). Turns out the Lutron Caseta component owner is the same author as the underlying library. The dev updated the timeout on the library (already merged), so we’ll have to wait for that to merge into HA to see if this fixes the issue.

Meanwhile, I’m going to try some explicit filtering on my internal firewall to see if denying the IDENT packet explicitly will make the telnet prompt show up faster, or if there are any other options to speed that up.

Here’s the PR that will merge this into HA:

Ok good news: I added a firewall rule to my network that blocks TCP port 113 from my Caseta. So now the login prompt shows up immediately, and the component doesn’t time out.