Lutron Caseta Multiple Pico Remote Long Press

Here is a set of blueprints for Lutron Caseta Pico remotes which pulls all button triggers into a single automation.
This is similar to others on this forum, with a few key differences:

• Multiple remotes can be specified in a single automation
  • Short press actions will fire immediately (on press) if no long-press action is defined

If you have multiple remotes which should have identical behaviour, this blueprint helps keep them all in one place. The button presses/releases on the multiple remotes will not clash.

Other automations which have a long-press function always fire the short-press when the button is released. This means you can’t trigger press/release automations (e.g. start dimming/stop dimming) in the same automation as you have long-press actions defined. This blueprint is different - if you define long-press then short-press is triggered when you release the button, but if you have no long-press then short-press is triggered when you press the button. It’s faster this way, and compatible with a wider variety of configurations.

Beware the release trigger will fire every time, even if you don’t have a release action defined. If you choose the “single” automation mode your press action will be stopped when you release the button. You probably don’t want this, so the default mode in this blueprint is “parallel”.

I have written a version for the 4 variants I have, but it’s very simple to modify this for other models. I extracted the key codes into a variable so it’s easier to modify.

PJ2-2B-GXX-X01 (Pico2Button):
Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.

Kudos to crkochan’s gists · GitHub and others for the work this blueprint is built on!

1 Like

PJ2-3BRL-GXX-X01 (Pico3ButtonRaiseLower):
Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.

PJ2-4B-GXX-X01 (Pico4ButtonZone)

PJ2-4B-GXX-X31 (Pico4ButtonScene):

I love this blueprint for my pico remotes, it works very well.

But the one thing that seems to be missing is the ability to set the color of bulbs that support it. I currently have it set to turn on my range hood for one of the buttons but I cannot specify the color just the brightness.

Is there anyway to add this functionality?

Thanks for sharing your Blueprint. I have several PJ2-3BRL-GXX-X01 (Pico3ButtonRaiseLower) remotes and programmed all of them with your code.
Much appreciated!

1 Like

The blueprint lets you assign any set of actions (not just lights, really anything). So you just need to find the service that corresponds to turning your lights on (usually light.turn_on) and you should be able to specify the colour in there.

A++ stuff!

i am using multiple PJ2-3BRL-GXX-X01 to control various media devices, and it’s nice to have hold repeat for things like increasing volume or scrolling menus. it’s easy enough to implement using a script that you turn on/off for the hold/release actions, but how could i do this using the lutron state directly?

i tried creating a condition based on the lutron button state, but the yaml gives an error about not being able to use a condition with the lutron_caseta domain. seems like since these devices are managed by my lutron hub it’s a bit harder?

it works well enough now, but does anyone know how i could do this using the actual button state?

I guess I need to learn the more advanced things. :slight_smile:

The buttons don’t have a state. They just fire pressed and released events which we use to trigger the automations. This blueprint creates the ‘held’ triggers by looking at the timing between pressed and released events.

This one doesn’t seem to be working for me and I can’t see why - was curious if you had any insights?

It seems everything matches up but I get no devices matching

When I look at the device it does seem to be correct and I get button presses in the log

When I download diagnostics it appears correct as well

"58": {
          "lutron_device_id": "58",
          "dr_device_id": "b69b8d919bcec17c0a33653f9158d285",
          "area_id": "3",
          "area_name": "Office",
          "name": "Pico 4 Button",
          "serial": 92577769,
          "device_info": {
            "name": "Office Pico 4 Button",
            "manufacturer": "Lutron Electronics Co., Inc",
            "identifiers": [
              [
                "lutron_caseta",
              ]
            ],
            "model": "PJ2-4B-GXX-X01 (Pico4ButtonZone)",
            "via_device": [
              "lutron_caseta",
            ],
            "suggested_area": "Office"
          },
          "model": "PJ2-4B-GXX-X01",
          "type": "Pico4ButtonZone",
          "buttons": [
            "189",
            "190",
            "191",
            "192"
          ]
        }

Never mind, it seems that this is a know issue. More here

this seemed to be the case. and you can’t actually read the values from the lutron devices because they’re coming from the lutron hub?

i got it working with some scripts that repeat while held. works very well.

I’m sorry if this is a dumb question or I’m missing something obvious, but how do I go about setting the up and down buttons (when held down) to brighten or dim until released? I can only seem to get it to work with incremental short presses.

this is an older post but just wanted to say THANK YOU for this blueprint. Works great (and fast!)

1 Like

This blueprint works perfect, took me less than a minute to install and test. Perfect, thanks. Any though to incorporating a double-press? That would give three functions per button, which is powerful and useful. Many off-the-shelf switches, including Lutron, use double-press to go full bright. It would be great to trigger an automation with that too.

1 Like