ZHA - Lutron Connected Bulb Remote

Does it show the device as “LZL4BWHL01 Remote”? It it doesn’t, that is when it is in the “bad” state. You will need to factory reset it again.

It might be that the OnOffGroupCluster being bound might be causing the issues . Maybe remove it, factory reset it, re-add it, and see what happens.

Hold the top and bottom buttons down, keep holding it, the light will turn on, it will start blinking, then wait till it goes off. Then you can release. If you release before then it might not be totally cleared.

When adding it, you might want to bring it close to the Zigbee stick at least to start, to make sure it is provisioned correctly.

If you need to reconfigure it and/or bind clusters to a light you may have to periodically tap a button to keep it awake (but you DON’T want to bind clusters to a light it at all if you are using the blueprint, that will prevent zha_events from working)

This is what I get on the first re-configure. Subsequent re-configures don’t produce any prompts or pop ups.

Thanks for the Blueprint!
The reason the manufacturer filter doesn’t work is some bulbs report manufacturer as “Lutron” and some as " Lutron" (with a preceding space).
I’ve found the remote cannot be rebound, has to be reset and then readded (haven’t looked at why the rebinding fails). Additionally, it works best if you add the remote while close to the hub as spotty connections can make it not bind properly to the hub’s group.

After deleting, reseting the remote multiple times, I tried with an Ikea button, same thing, no zha_event. I finally tried with a new zigbee coordinator and now everything gets added and sends zha_events. Thanks for your help.

after the latest update to 2022.4 and subsequent 2022.4.1, I am unable to get this blueprint to trigger scenes. I have tried “activate scene” and “call service scene.activate” and neither work. I can trigger individual lights and other single devices but scenes are no longer working.

Something changed in the 2022.4 release. I deleted these 2 lines from the conditions list for button 2 and button 3 in the blueprint, restarted Home Assistant, and everything works again.

I successfully replaced the lines deleted above with:

- '{{ args == ''[<StepMode.Up: 0>, 30, 6]''}}'
          for !input 'button_2'
    - '{{ args == ''[<StepMode.Down: 1>, 30, 6]''}}'
          for !input 'button_3'

as I found this was the new zha_event results when the 2/3 buttons are pressed after updating to 2022.4. These additions didn’t seem to add anything to the operation, so for me I just deleted them. Perhaps they were for some future enhancement to the blueprint?

The blueprint is by default in this folder:
/blueprints/automation/Xelloss99

Hope that Xelloss99 will review this and update the blueprint.

I am still getting the events that should trigger button 2 and 3 and I do not see any

here is a button 2 event (it doesn’t trigger the automation)

{
    "event_type": "zha_event",
    "data": {
        "device_ieee": "ff:ff:00:0f:e7:ff:4c:ad",
        "unique_id": "ff:ff:00:0f:e7:ff:4c:ad:1:0x0008",
        "device_id": "68e993a1d233001ccee30afbd3551500",
        "endpoint_id": 1,
        "cluster_id": 8,
        "command": "step_with_on_off",
        "args": [
        ],
        "params": {
            "step_mode": 0,
            "step_size": 30,
            "transition_time": 6
        }
    },

running 2022.4.5

Press your button 2 then select Edit Automation in the UI. Select Show Trace and find the trace for the last button press (there will also be a button 2 release trace, but nothing happens there). Select to Changed Variables. In the first step you will see the variables from the zha_event as you see them in Developer Tools. Now go down a couple steps and you’ll see the actual returned variables:

command: step_with_on_off
cluster_id: 8
endpoint_id: 1
args: ‘[<StepMode.Up: 0>, 30, 6]’

You can see the args are formatted differently than the zha_event result, which was the change from before 2022.4.x

Edit the blueprint to remove the condition using the args result entirely, it’s not needed for the automation logic. Or replace the arg result test to match what you see in the Debug/Trace results.

Well that fixed it for me. thanks.

Thanks, I updated this blueprint. I was holding off upgrading Home Assistant until I got my Zwave (deprecated) updated to Z-Wave-JS so didn’t notice the breaking change. Since buttons 2 and 3 didn’t need the args to uniquely identify the button press (1 and 4 do though) this works fine with any HA version.

Core Update 2022.7.2 just broke the blueprint again. This time no buttons are working. The blueprint doesn’t seem to respond at all to any button press ie no Trace was generated to look at. I returned to Core 2022.6.7 and all buttons are working again. Any idea to why the blueprint doesn’t even see the button press?

I have had issues with mine in the past and wanted to start over. I removed the button blueprint for all devices and then deleted the blueprint and re-added to HA. I can no longer see any bulb remote as an option with the blueprint. As of 2022.7.3, none of the buttons were responding so that is why I removed them to start over. I can see actions in the device info from each button and each remote but it still does not find the remotes to connect to the blueprint.

Similar but not identical issue. My blueprint only seems to detect the top and bottom buttons, not the the two middle buttons.
Not sure why it’s not detecting the middle buttons. I have updated to the latest blueprint, but no luck.

After upgrading to 2022.7.5 this issue is resolved for me. All four remote buttons operate as expected in this blueprint

Hey NightHawk. After the middle button problems with ZHA were corrected in 2022.7.5 updates, I had the same problem you saw. I was able to correct the problem with the ‘selector’ section of the blueprint by editing it as follows:

Original Blueprint Selector:

Remove or comment out the ‘integration’ line as follows.

selector:
        device:
#          integration: zha
          manufacturer: " Lutron"
          model: "LZL4BWHL01 Remote"
          multiple: false

The ‘manufacturer’ isn’t really needed, but I wanted to find out why it wasn’t working. Turns out that adding a space before “_Lutron” is needed. Adding quotes fixed that. But, the ‘selector’ will work with just the ‘model’. I went ahead and added quotes there to assure any unseen spaces didn’t mess things up.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Great info from jdggit.

Don’t forget, you need to “Reload” the “Automations” YAML in Developer Tools → YAML configuration reloading before it will start working.

Thanks so much! I know it has been some time since my input but wanted to let you know that I added your “fix” from this post and I now have the devices shown again to choose from. I had completely removed everything and I am just now getting back around to adding it all back in because I wanted to start fresh.

Thanks again!

Trying to use the blueprint but under Device nothing is showing up, I made the changes suggested by @jdggit and my device looks fully paired, any suggestions?

The problem with Lutron devices not showing up in Blueprints is mentioned here:

and further documented here:

I’ve been able to work around the problem by selecting the Device from it’s Integration and then Enabling an available Control or Diagnostic element. Wait a minute for the device to come alive, then go back to the Blueprint and it’s available in the drop down. It’s hit-and-miss and sometimes requires a few tries, but eventually it has shown up long enough to get the blueprint written.

I know this is an old thread but I came across one of these LZL-4B switched from my OLD Wink set up and was hoping to use. I reset it and paired to my zigbee (deCONZ) and it sees it. In HA though, it appears but will not let me select it. There are no options within the device screen to tinker with. Hitting the buttons does show event firing though.

I’m connected to Zigbee with a Silicon Labs EZSP. It auto populates the “Diagnostic” box with 2 entities, not shown by default. I made one of them visible. From there the device eventually was able to be selected. Your deCONZ doesn’t appear to discover the additional entities. I don’t have any further ideas for you other than writing your own automation. Or maybe modifying the blueprint without using the select function.