Lutron Caseta on new hassbian: pylutron-caseta 0.2.6 can't install?

Hi all. I’m totally new to Home Assistant (literally just installed it) so I apologize if I don’t post correctly.

I tried to set up my Lutron Smart Bridge (non-pro) and after following the instructions, verifying my config within home assistant, it wasn’t working. The log file says:

17-05-04 21:55:07 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Not initializing lutron_caseta because could not install dependency https://github.com/gurumitts/pylutron-caseta/archive/v0.2.6.zip#pylutron-caseta==v0.2.6
17-05-04 21:55:07 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for lutron_caseta: Could not install all requirements.

I checked ou gurumitts’ GitHub repo for pylytron and it doesn’t look like 0.2.6 is an actual release yet. Any ideas what’s going on or what I can do?

I’m running HA 0.43.2 installed via a brand-new hassbian image on a Pi 2.

Hey,

I have a feeling its due to the paramiko libs. Can you try:

sudo apt-get install build-essential libssl-dev libffi-dev python-dev

More information can be found here: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/6806

That was exactly it! After a restart everything was detected (my lutron stuff is all wall dimmers and lamp dimmers) and working perfectly.

Thanks so much for the response & help. I’m sorry I didn’t think to check the issues on the repo before posting.

1 Like

Awesome. I am glad its working out.

New and trying to set this up. Getting the same error even after running the command.
Suggestions as to next steps?

Is there anything else in the logs?

Yes there is more…[FYI using a PI2, Hassbian, and HA 0.44.1]

2017-05-16 19:13:03 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of sensor is taking over 10 seconds.
2017-05-16 19:13:59 ERROR (Thread-4) [homeassistant.util.package] Unable to install package https://github.com/gurumitts/pylutron-caseta/archive/v0.2.6.zip#pylutron-caseta==v0.2.6: Command "/srv/homeassistant/bin/python3 -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-yhlejyd7/cffi/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-2hdk1heq-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile --install-headers /srv/homeassistant/include/site/python3.4/cffi --home=/tmp/tmpqcvlozge" failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-yhlejyd7/cffi/
2017-05-16 19:13:59 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Not initializing lutron_caseta because could not install dependency https://github.com/gurumitts/pylutron-caseta/archive/v0.2.6.zip#pylutron-caseta==v0.2.6
2017-05-16 19:13:59 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for lutron_caseta: Could not install all requirements.

Still looking like an issue installing paramiko. The command should have worked​.

Tonight I will do a fresh install of Hassbian, complete updates, and then only make one change of the Config.

lutron_caseta:
  host: IP

Will report the result when completed.

Fresh install of hassbian loaded today (5/22/17) to 0.45.1

2017-05-22 23:09:05 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of sensor is taking over 10 seconds.
2017-05-22 23:10:05 ERROR (Thread-4) [homeassistant.util.package] Unable to install package pylutron-caseta==0.2.6: Retrying (Retry(total=4, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connection broken by 'ProtocolError('Connection aborted.', OSError(107, 'Transport endpoint is not connected'))': /simple/pylutron-caseta/
Command "/srv/homeassistant/bin/python3 -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-h5npdekk/cffi/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-9vczphlw-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile --install-headers /srv/homeassistant/include/site/python3.4/cffi --home=/tmp/tmp06fci97r" failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-h5npdekk/cffi/
2017-05-22 23:10:05 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Not initializing lutron_caseta because could not install dependency pylutron-caseta==0.2.6
2017-05-22 23:10:05 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for lutron_caseta: Could not install all requirements.
2017-05-22 23:10:30 WARNING (Thread-4) [netdisco.ssdp] Error fetching description at http://192.168.1.66:49152/wps_device.xml

Unsure what line 1 and 5 are from as they are present all the time.

Installed samba and ran the command again. Rebooted and it is working. Only thing I didn’t do this time was to update Hassbain and HomeAssistant.

Will do those now just to check to see if it breaks or not.

Edit: Because of the fresh install there was no need to update Hass. Hassbian updated and didn’t lose the dependencies. Not sure what I was doing wrong before but thanks for being assertive about that fixing it.

1 Like

I ran into the same thing today. I am a complete noob to HA but was able to solve it by doing both the apt-get above and using the following as setuptools would not run.

Big thanks for posting this.

linky to problem

Solution

To prevent the problem in new environments (that aren’t broken yet),

First run
pip install -U setuptools,

Then run the command to upgrade your package (e.g. pip install --upgrade pyramid)
To fix the problem once it’s occurred, you’ll need to manually install the new setuptools, then rerun the upgrade that failed.

I used the following after reinstalling setuptools:

sudo -H pip3 install pylutron-caseta

Which gave:

Collecting pylutron-caseta
Using cached pylutron_caseta-0.2.6.tar.gz
Collecting paramiko (from pylutron-caseta)

So it looked like a paramiko problem as stated above.

But I still get a hang on hass loading at pylutron-caseta even though when I try to pip3 install it says already installed.