Lutron Caseta Pico (Core Integration Only)

Has anyone tried to control Alexa Media Player using a pico remote? I was given a Lutron Hub and Pico Remote for free and have no use for it. I wanted to see if I could use the pico remote to control Alexa Media Player through HA but I don’t see any posts about other people trying this. In theory it should be capable but maybe I’m missing something.

Edit: I just downloaded the blueprint and gave it a shot, works like a charm! Thanks for all the great work! I was able to control the music on a group of Alexa devices which was exactly what I was looking for. It would be 100% prefect if I could get the play/pause button to work. I can only get the button to either play or pause, the option for play/pause doesn’t appear to work and play doesn’t pause and pause doesn’t play, too bad, oh well I’ll take 95% working.

I just imported this Blueprint, and was using it, but for some reason it’s breaking all my automations, I get the error: only automations that have a unique id assigned are debuggable. Any suggestions on what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks,

You’ll need to provide a lot more details as to why you think a blueprint automation is breaking your other automations.

No clue on what this error is as I’ve never seen it myself. Provide the entire error if possible and also provide a screenshot of the automation that is causing it.

Sorry, I should’ve known better. Here is the Automation I created using the Blueprint (Let me know if I should upload my entire automation.yaml and/or log file.

- id: '1641747639205'
  alias: Living Room Light Switch (Pico)
  description: To Pico Remote to control LIFX Bulbs
  use_blueprint:
    path: stephack/core-pico.yaml
    input:
      auto_mode: restart
      pico_remote: 5ce6d50cc28fb67d6af3cf299b91507f
      top_on:
      - service: light.turn_on
        target:
          entity_id: light.living_room_lights
        data:
          brightness: 255
      down_lower:
      - device_id: 5ce6d50cc28fb67d6af3cf299b91507f
        domain: ''
        entity_id: ''
      - service: light.turn_off
        target:
          entity_id: light.living_room_lights

If I delete this automation and restart, my automations become editable again.

PM’d you for more details.

Hi,

I don’t have pro hub, is there a way I can still use this blueprint ?
I am using core Lutron Caseta integration but I am not getting any device to select when creating automation via this blueprint. I do have correct remote " Pico3ButtonRaiseLower" which is also integrated with my lutron hub.

You need 2022.2 or later to use the pico remotes without a pro hub

I was able to “emulate” a long press, like with increasing light brightness up until a point, by having the arrow key press trigger a repeating action with a short delay, like 500 ms. You stop by the loop by having the arrow key release trigger a wait action, I just used 1 second.

up_raise:
      - repeat:
          while: []
          sequence:
            - service: light.turn_on
              data:
                brightness_step_pct: 10
                transition: 1
              target:
                entity_id: light.fan
            - delay:
                hours: 0
                minutes: 0
                seconds: 0
                milliseconds: 500
    up_raise_release:
      - delay:
          hours: 0
          minutes: 0
          seconds: 1
          milliseconds: 0

4 Likes

Thanks for this! Saved me a lot of headache over trying to figure out how to do this in node red.

Would you happen to know how to set a dim limit so it doesn’t turn the light off?

Today’s update to core-2022.6.1 seems to have broken this Blueprint. Pico remotes don’t show up in the input box. Existing Automations configured before the 2022.6.1 update seem to work fine.

setup:
core-2022.6.1
Lutron Caseta core integration
multiple Pico remotes

Yes, I just tried creating a new BP automation (running 2022.6.0 myself) and I’m seeing the same. The really strange thing is that I changed the model to one of my dimmers instead as a test…and it worked fine. So something has changed that seems to only affect the button controllers.

:thinking: very strange. I’m not sure how to proceed…might have to open an issue with the HA team.
@ogiewon @mattsheffiel , are you seeing the same with your version of this BP since the latest HA update?

I was able to get this working by commenting out the integration value - line 13 of the blueprint

selector:
        device:
          #integration: lutron_caseta
          model: PJ2-3BRL-GXX-X01 (Pico3ButtonRaiseLower)

Seems like in the latest HA update the device selector component when referencing an integration is pulling the entities instead of the devices.

1 Like

@stephack @hyperfive Thanks Dan! I had tried commenting out the model, but that didn’t work; it returned the light.xxx devices. Commenting out the integration worked! Appreciate you two looking into it! Love this BP!

I guess this was one of those overlooked breaking changes. I updated the blueprint. I really hope another integration doesn’t use “PJ2-3BRL-GXX-X01” as a model number :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks @hyperfive for confirming with workaround.
@ogiewon @mattsheffiel you probably need to do the same with your BP’s.

1 Like

Is there a way to add trigger id’s to the blueprint? This could allow one to hold down the raise/lower and have it stop when released.

@stephack Thank you for this blueprint and keeping it updated! I’m programming a few Pico Remotes and want to make sure I’m using the correct Automation Mode. I searched this post for a clear description of them, but came up empty. Do you mind posting the description and maybe an example scenario for each mode? Thanks again.

The blueprint doesn’t care which mode. It depends on what your automation needs. Mainly an issue for longer running automation and what should to if it gets called a second, third, etc time.

An example might be a light that should go off after 20 minutes.

Your “on” action may be something like:

• turn on light
  • wait 20 minutes
  • turn off

But then what happens if you press “on” again during the 20 minute wait?

• Single - nothing happens, the press is ignored
  • Restart - currently running a action is terminated and your “on” action is processed again. For this effectively resetting the 20 minute wait.
  • Queued - waits until current action finishes an run the automaton again. For this the light would turn off (first press completes) and then turn on again (second press executes).
  • Parallel - Both timers run concurrently, confusion ensues
1 Like

Thanks. Not sure what you’re driving at with the first sentence. It is an Automation Blueprint after all. But, the rest of the post is exactly what I needed. Thanks again.

Thank you for this! New user to Home Assistant with next to zero knowledge on the platform and this was extremely easy to implement.

I’ve had 4 automation based on this blueprint for over a year and all of a sudden today when I press the pico remotes, the green light blinks and Logview shows the button was pressed but the automation don’t run. Ii go into the automation and click run on each event / service / scene It works and if i delete the automation and start from scratch it works until I reset home Assistant than it goe back to not working.

any ideas?