Lutron Caseta switches lose state

I can share everyone’s pain. I also have been hit with the problem.
Running on 0.90.2 on a Pine64. I was running fine on that version and then. I needed to restart the HA instance for some reason and it started happening… even so, I needed to restart HA about 4 times before it could even see my Lutron bridge. I thought is was broken.

Now, all it does is toggle the switch back and forth in lovelace without even changing the stage on my lights.

i’m thinking that there must of been a update on the lutron bridge and now the component can’t cope with these changes… (my 2¢)

My phone app is at version 6.5.1

This is what I have in my logs (if that helps):

2019-04-10 14:49:28 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setting up lutron_caseta
2019-04-10 14:49:28 DEBUG (MainThread) [pylutron_caseta.smartbridge] Connecting to Smart Bridge via SSL

2019-04-10 14:50:26 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of lutron_caseta is taking over 10 seconds.

2019-04-10 14:50:26 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Error during setup of component lutron_caseta
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/components/lutron_caseta/init.py”, line 49, in async_setup
await bridge.connect()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pylutron_caseta/smartbridge.py”, line 40, in connect
yield from self._login()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pylutron_caseta/smartbridge.py”, line 281, in _login
self._reader, self._writer = yield from self._connect()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pylutron_caseta/smartbridge.py”, line 58, in _connect
family=socket.AF_INET)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pylutron_caseta/leap.py”, line 16, in open_connection
limit=limit, **kwds)

2019-04-10 14:51:05 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.discovery] Unknown service discovered: homekit {‘host’: ‘172.20.10.32’, ‘port’: 4548, ‘hostname’: ‘lutron-01e89c39.local.’, ‘properties’: {‘ff’: ‘1’, ‘id’: ‘ab:21:15:xx:xx:xx’, ‘md’: ‘Smart Bridge 2’, ‘c#’: ‘8’, ‘sf’: ‘1’, ‘s#’: ‘1’, ‘ci’: ‘2’}, ‘name’: ‘Smart Bridge 2’}

2019-04-10 14:51:05 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.discovery] Unknown service discovered: lutron {‘host’: ‘172.20.10.32’, ‘port’: 22, ‘hostname’: ‘lutron-01e89c39.local.’, ‘properties’: {‘MACADDR’: ‘a8:1b:6a:xx:xx:xx’, ‘CODEVER’: ‘06.09.01f000’, ‘DEVCLASS’: ‘08040100’, ‘FW_STATUS’: ‘1:NoUpdate’, ‘NW_STATUS’: ‘InternetWorking’, ‘ST_STATUS’: ‘good’}}

UPDATE: I updated my HA instance to 0.91.2 and my bridge is working again.

FWIW, I do NOT have a Pro Bridge.

I’m having the exact same issues. I reset Lutron bridge to factory default, uninstalled/reinstalled certs via add-on, and even migrated from RP3 to VM, thinking it might be a RP3 issues. Nope, nothing fixes it. I’m about to do a fresh install, just to see if that fixes it…purely out of curiosity. At this point, I am beginning to think it’s a Lutron issue.

I’m also suspicious that it has something to do with Lutron. Its infuriating because I’m all in on Caseta… my entire house. I have no idea how to go about troubleshooting this… nothing shows up in the HA logs. Really hoping this gets addressed soon.

Here’s an update. I had the standard Caseta bridge, but purchased a Pro bridge last week so I can expose my PICO remotes to HomeKit using HomeBridge. I tried connecting the Pro bridge to Home Assistant, and it does correctly retain the device state. Granted, I have only migrated a couple of switches over to the Pro bridge. If I encounter the problem again after migrating more switches, I’ll post an update here.

Where did you buy the Pro bridge from? I was looking at the one on Amazon but saw reviews stating some were outdated.

I ordered through the Walmart website, but it was fulfilled through Energy Avenue: https://www.energyavenue.com/Lutron/L-BDGPRO2-WH

Interestingly, there was no shipping fee when I ordered through Walmart. But ordering directly through Energy Avenue I think you’ll have to pay shipping. But still, cheapest price I could find. Good luck!

I am brand new to home assistant. Lutron Caseta was the second connection I made to my install and i am have the same issue. I have been a homekit user but started looking at HA for more automation and UI control. I have a standard install on a raspberry pi and a non pro hub.

Same problem here. I’ve manged to get things working for now through the SmartThings integration, but it’s a bit of a kludge, plus the HA is local (I think) which I prefer. I am going to try a Pro Bridge and report back the results.

I bought a pro hub and it works perfectly now.

I bought a pro hub with high hopes, but unfortunately I am seeing the same behavior. The state is not maintained.

So… As I stated previously, my original problem was with the standard bridge. I purchased the Pro bridge and everything was great. I have been slowly migrating switches over to the Pro, and tonight I noticed that it stopped working with HA. I wonder if it has something to do with the number of devices attached to the bridge?

Could it be a Lutron firmware issue? I’d imagine that at some point the bridge, whether standard or pro, gets updates from Lutron and those updates are causing the breakage. The Pros that several people are getting are using older versions of the firmware and when yours updated, it’s caused the break. Maybe the standard bridges got the push first. Just a wild a guess.

@Phillip_Sperry @BigMal and others with the same issue… Do you happen to have the new Caseta fan controller switch? I realized that it stopped working after I added the fan controller. I disconnected the fan controller and it started working again. Might just be a coincidence, so I am wondering if the same is true for you.

Indeed! I’ll give that a shot and see what happens.

1 Like

Mike, I think you nailed it. I saw your comment and immediately removed the fan switch from the Caseta app. Restarted home assistant and states are reporting correctly. Thank you!

1 Like

Glad it’s working! Lucky for me, I still have my standard bridge. So I will keep my fan controllers on there and everything else on the Pro until they fix the component.

Are you using the built-in Lutron Caseta component or the custom component?

Either way I would encourage you to submit a bug report for the component that you are using.

I know that the custom component has code for the new fan switch. I don’t know about the built-in component.

@MikeA Thanks for the suggestion. I actually did submit a bug report, but it seems to have been completely ignored by the devs. I am on the built-in component. What functionality does the custom component add? And dumb question - Why is there a separate custom component rather than adding the new functionality into the built in one?