Lutron Homeworks QS Curtain/Shades/Motor Control Integration

Hi Everyone!

I have recently integrated my Lutron system that includes light/dimmer modules and motor modules into the HA (Lutron - Home Assistant). All the lights, dimmers, scenes and sensors are viewable and controllable through HA.

However, the Lutron motor modules are recognized by HA as light entities and not as cover entities. As the motors require open, stop, close signals and the light
entity has only ON/OFF signal, I’m unable to control any of the covers/shades.

Has anyone came across this and found a solution?

Anyone? HELP PLEASE

I might be able to help you. Are you using the Lutron integration? (not the caseta one)
Do you know how to get a copy of your xml DB? Have you tried the latest release? There have been a LOT of updates with 2024.2.x

Hi,
Yes, I’m using the Lutron integration (updated to the last version). After the updates the motor module still recognized by HA as a light.
I don’t know how to get a copy of the xml DB.

Here is the xml DB: WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free

The link may have expired before I saw this. The link doesn’t seem to produce a download. Could you try again? I’ll keep closer eye :slight_smile:

OK I got the file. I’m a little surprised that anything is working for you looking at the structure of this. I’m going to guess that your firmware is quite outdated. The XML is REALLY poorly structured and has a ton of errors in it. I can only assume that a later firmware version would clean this up. For instance at the moment, the entire home is contained in the area called “Attic” I’m pretty sure that isn’t the case but the XML errors cause that to be true.

I found your shade modules and the reason they are showing up as lights is because they are labeled as MOTOR and the API layer (pylutron) is looking for SYSTEM_SHADE. This could be as simple as adding another parameter to look for MOTOR but without knowing a few more details that could be problematic.

Just to confirm, is “M1/4 פרגולה” aka “M1/4 Pergola” one of your shades?

Do you have model numbers for the shades and controllers so that we know which device parameters to actually use?

When added as lights, do they work if you raise or lower the dim level of the light? (That will tell me if the commands are correct or not)

Any chance you can update the firmware?

Indeed the firmware is outdated (10 years ago). However, I don’t wish to update it as the current update blocks the Lutron Home app.
Yes, M1/4 is one of the shades. The model number of the motor controller is LQSE-4M-D.
They dont work when raising the dim level (the bar remains grey).

ok. side note: maybe how you saved the XML file (the browser) attempted to correct the XML and made it messy. I’ve not worked with a homeworks system before but maybe try a different browser and we might get a cleaner file (not super critical, but would be helpful)

I’m not sure how tech familiar you are but what would be ideal is for you to be able to test the commands since I don’t have your system to test against. You’ll need a telnet connection to your Homeworks Processor. You can use the windows telnet command or download PuTTY. If you use PuTTY be sure to choose telnet as it defaults to SSH and that should then switch the port to 23.

We need to verify the commands so I know we are working from the right device instructions. When you make the telnet connection, login with the same username and password as in your HA integration. Have your phone app handy in case you need to override one of the commands we issue. The below is using your M1/1 Silhouette motor.Start with the shade closed. The commands below then will raise the shade, stop raising the shade, lower the shade, and stop lowering the shade.

Here are the commands to enter (type the text as shown and press enter after each line and you should see it take action):

#OUTPUT,75,2
#OUTPUT,75,4
#OUTPUT,75,3
#OUTPUT,75,4

Assuming that works then this will be a pretty easy update to pylutron. The HA integration should then detect them as covers and it will work for full open and full close the way it is coded now. But the other shades support setting a specific position and it looks like the Homeworks motor does not. So we will want to work on that a bit.

If it works, the next thing I’ll have you try is modifying pylutron directly in your HA node. It’s a pretty simple update but you’ll need to get access via SSH to your HA in order to do it. How are you running HA? have you done that before?
Here is a general guide to the process: Debugging the Home Assistant Operating System | Home Assistant Developer Docs
Ultimately we need in the container bash. So you can modify the above or however you need to get there. Reach back if you can’t figure this part out.

Let me know how your testing goes and we’ll take next steps.