Lutron PD-5S-DV-WH switch missing when configured as switch via lutron_caseta_pro

Anyone been successful in getting the Lutron PD-5S-DV-WH switch to work with HA? This is the 5 amp switch that does not require a neutral wire.

I have the Pro version of the Lutron bridge and am using the lutron_caseta_pro custom component to integrate the devices into HA since I want Pico functionality. I have a bunch of dimmer switches, fan controls, and Pico remotes installed throughout the house, and they are all working correctly.

I now have the PD-5S-DV-WH switch installed and registered with the Lutron app and it works fine. It shows up as device 30 in the integration report. I also have a Pico remote configured to control the switch via the Lutron app and that works fine, too.

What I observe is that if I do not configure the PD-5S-DV-WH as a switch (leave it to be detected by default as a light), it appears in HA as light.master_bathroom_exhaust_fan and can be switched on/off. It has a dimmer slider control, and that’s not applicable to a switch. However, if I add it as a switch via the configuration.yaml file, it is not recognized at all and there is no corresponding entity in HA.

This is my configuration.yaml content when adding it as a light, and this results in light.master_bathroom_exhaust_fan being present in the HA entities list :

lutron_caseta_pro:  # Lutron Caseta PRO Bridge
    bridges:
      - host: !secret ip_address_lutron_caseta_pro_bridge
        mac: !secret mac_address_lutron_caseta_pro_bridge
        default_transition_seconds: 1.0
        fan: [ 23, 24 ]

This is my configuration.yaml content when adding it as a switch, and there is NO HA entity for the switch. I was expecting something like switch.master_bathroom_exhaust_fan :

lutron_caseta_pro:  # Lutron Caseta PRO Bridge
    bridges:
      - host: !secret ip_address_lutron_caseta_pro_bridge
        mac: !secret mac_address_lutron_caseta_pro_bridge
        default_transition_seconds: 1.0
        switch: [ 30 ]
        fan: [ 23, 24 ]

The relevant lutron_caseta_pro_<ip_address>.json file contents are:

{
  "LIPIdList" : {
    "Zones" : [
      {
        "ID" : 30,
        "Name" : "Exhaust Fan",
        "Area" : {
          "Name" : "Master Bathroom"
        }
      }
    ]
  }
}

Any ideas what might be wrong here or tips on how to debug this? I’m in month 2 of using HA, so I’m still figuring stuff out and would appreciate any suggestions on how to get the device detected as a switch.

How about if you leave it in there as a light, and then create a template switch for it? Your configuration.yaml would include something like this:

switch:
  - platform: template
    switches:
      master_bathroom_exhaust_fan:
        value_template: '{{ states("light.master_bathroom_exhaust_fan") }}'
        friendly_name: 'Master Bathroom Exhaust Fan'
        turn_on:
          - service: light.turn_on
            entity_id: light.master_bathroom_exhaust_fan
        turn_off:
          - service: light.turn_off
            entity_id: light.master_bathroom_exhaust_fan

Thanks! That looks like a good workaround that will keep Google from turning on the fan when I say things like “Turn on the master bathroom lights” if I only expose the template switch and not the light entity.

1 Like

Quick follow-up:

I was able to run a neutral wire to the j-box where my exhaust fan switch lives, so I picked up the more typical Caseta switch (PD-5ANS-WH) that requires a neutral wire. I installed it physically, added it to the Lutron app, and then added it as a switch in the lutron_caseta_pro YAML section as described above. It shows up as an entity in the switch domain, as expected, and there is no entry in the light domain. So there appears to be something unique about the PD-5S-DV-WH switch that confuses the lutron_caseta_pro integration.

That’s interesting. I have some of each type of switch. I don’t recall which is which anymore. But what I did notice just now in the Lutron app is that certain switches allow me to change the type to various types of lights, an appliance, or even an exhaust fan. Other switches do not show exhaust fan as an option. So, just guessing here… Maybe Lutron classifies particular switches as lights only, while others can be considered switches. Did you actually have the old switch classified as an exhaust fan? How about the new switch?

Also, just curious - What made you decide to run a neutral wire? That sounds like a lot of work, when you already had a Caseta switch working there.

Good point on whether the Lutron app will allow you to change the switch to a fan or something other than a light. I see that option in the app for the PD-5ANS switch, but I don’t recall seeing it for the PD-5S-DV. I’ll check next time I have some wiring exposed that I can temporarily connect the PD-5S-DV. Perhaps I missed that part and that’s why it wouldn’t show up as a switch in HA.

As for the neutral wire, I was doing some other work and had things opened up to where it was easy. Now that I’ve been playing with HA for 2mo, I’m moving a little (but only a little) out of the kid-in-a-candy-store mentality of adding/automating everything and trying to shift focus a bit to making things as reliable as possible so I don’t have to think about things as much. Simplifying the light->template_switch code was one of those things - one less layer of complexity.

Quick follow-up: I was installing some other wall switches today and decided to temporarily hook up the PD-5S-DV switch to test your theory. That was it! I didn’t notice that configuration option in the Lutron App before, but that was the key.

Apparently the configuration setting for the PD-5S-DV in the Lutron App must be something other than a light you assign to the device in Home Assistant if you want Home Assistant to be able to treat it as a switch. In this case, I think the HA fan device type is likely only used for their actual fan controller (with fan speeds), but the on/off switches do show up as switches when configured as an Exhaust Fan in the Lutron app.

1 Like

Can you please contact my wife and let her know that I actually AM right about SOME things?

1 Like