Lutron RA2 12.2.1 problem

@jon102034050 Just a quick note: it is working great !!! Thank you !!!

Just as a note to others finding this: when you can add a Pico to your RA2 setup with or without any RA2 programmed functions, lutron_event’s are generated for all Pico buttons in HA.

I’m sure other RA2 users would take advantage of this new feature, if they knew…? The title of this thread does not capture what you have gotten done, I wonder if there a way to more broadly inform other RA2 user of this new feature?

Jon,

Checked the 2, 4 and 5 button Picos, all work perfectly.

Did find a problem with the keys on the Lutron W6BRL keypad, it reports each of the six keys, as well as the raise and lower keys, as “_unknown_button”. The six keys report action as single, and the raise/lower keys as pressed/released, fine.

I’ll have access to the H6BRL and HN6BRL keypads next few days, will report asap.

The HA Lutron docs will include an example of capturing an event from a Pico once my PR is accepted, hopefully that’s enough?

Thats good to hear, I didnt have 2 or 5 button picos to test with

I will test this further the next couple days to see if I can reproduce and diagnose this issue, thanks

@jon102034050

Jon,

Tested the HN6BRL, it sends events with “unknown_button” like the W6BRL.

Also, the lutron_event is not reliable, it stops working after some time. A HA reboot brings them back.

Anything I can do to help track this down?

Can you describe what you mean by ‘not reliable’? I haven’t restarted my HA instance since I last posted that example 9 days ago, and my lutron events have all worked as expected. If you can dump debug logs, that’d probably be a good place to start. Just be careful posting them publicly here as it may have identifying information in them. Message me individually here if you can capture the issue
I will work to take a look at the keypad unknown_button issue early next week

Please help. Pulling my hair out on this. I read through this document : https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/lutron

I’m connected to my Lutron QS system. I can see switches lights and CCOs and control them. I just can not seem to see any keypad button presses no matter what I do.

I even tried jon102034050 post about looking at the event from with in HA. I see nothing when I press the SeeTouch Keypad or a Pico remote.

Any clues, tips or thing I should try would be appreciated.

What kind of event are you calling with your hybrid keypad? A single press works just fine on my hybrid keypad, but I’m imagining that you’re attempting to capture a different type of event… I’ve tested a Path of Light button and single press toggle scene

I dont have lutron qs, so I can’t say whether or not events will work with it. What have you tried so far? Can you show screenshots and describe what you’re attempting to test?

OK, here is what I did so far.

I opened a TELNET session to watch the traffic. I pressed the button on my keypad. It is a seeTouch 6BRL. When I pressed the button on the keypad I can see it in telnet. It shows up like this: ~DEVICE,133,3,3. This ties into what I see in the Lutron integration screen:

This is Den > DKLocation > DKeypad which is ID 133, Then is Button #3 which is Shade.

So now I know that it is being broadcast and how.

I tried the following three automation to test if I can capture and use it. Based off of the sample provided here: https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/lutron

# Test Automations
- id: Lutron Button Test
  alias: Lutron Trigger Test Automation
  trigger:
    platform: event
    event_type: lutron_event
    event_data:
         id: 133,3
         action: pressed
  action:
    - service: media_player.media_stop

Next I tried:

# Test Automations
  trigger:
    event_data:
         id: dklocation_shade
  action:
    - service: media_player.media_stop

Last I tried:

`# Test Automations
  trigger:
    event_data:
         id: dkeypad_shade
  action:
    - service: media_player.media_stop`

HASSIO did not see anything from all three of these tries.

Attached here are more screenshots of documents from Lutron that I used to figure this out.

I’m way beyond my skill set here at this point, but trying hard to learn. Hit a wall at this point. What are your thoughts?

try this: hit developer tools > events > type lutron_event and click start listening. then, click a physical button on the keypad. see if you get data on the screen then.

I forgot tot mention I tired that. Just tried it again and got nothing.

But I do see an entry in the Developer Tools Logs here:

what is your HA version?

currently running Home Assistant 0.102.0

BTW, thank you for your help.

OK, I just updated to the latest version. Home Assistant 0.102.2 and retested listening for events in the Developer Tools>Events. Made a small amount of progress.

1. I now see an event from my PICO controller but I still do not see events from the SeeTouch keypads. I tested both and watched the TELNET for each as well.

Results:
PICO TELNET: ~DEVICE,166,3,3
HA EVENT Monitor capture:
{
“event_type”: “lutron_event”,
“data”: {
“id”: “csd_001_favorite”,
“action”: “single”
},
“origin”: “LOCAL”,
“time_fired”: “2019-11-26T23:45:25.752070+00:00”,
“context”: {
“id”: “bcfd526700bf4b428265b899599d87f5”,
“parent_id”: null,
“user_id”: null
}
}

SEE TOUCH TELNET: ~DEVICE,133,3,3
HA EVENT Monitor capture: {BLANK}

So what I’m thinking is this. The picos show up automatically in HA as a Scene but the seeTouch Keypads do not show up at all. So since HA does not have them listed it is ignoring listening for or to them. They Keypads must no be auto-populating as part of the initial Lutron connection.

I also dug into my Lutron XML file to look at the 2 different keypad types.

Here is how it shows the PICO:

Here is how it shows the seeTouch:

Any thoughts on how I overcome this hurdle?

{UPDATE}

OK I think I figured out the problem. The PYLUTRON code is not looking for my type of keypad. I have a few PICO’s and they are working fine.

In the python code I read on GITHUB it is filtering the xml file as such:

if device_xml.get('DeviceType') in (

'SEETOUCH_KEYPAD',

'SEETOUCH_TABLETOP_KEYPAD',

'PICO_KEYPAD',

'HYBRID_SEETOUCH_KEYPAD',

'MAIN_REPEATER',

'HOMEOWNER_KEYPAD'):

I think I need to alter this file and add this line to it:

HWI_SEETOUCH_KEYPAD

I viewed my Lutron XML file and this is the only difference between the PICO and my keypads. All other coding is the same.

How do I find the code on my system to alter and test? Do you think this will work?

@jon102034050 Jon,

I am running HA 102.2. Below is screen shoot, testing RA2/W6BRL, event 0-1 top button, event 2-3 button #6, event 4 is lower, event 5 is raise. Pico’s work great, all solid (except network reconnection).

Let me know how I can help. Thank you !

Event 5 fired 11:19 PM:
{
    "event_type": "lutron_event",
    "data": {
        "id": "sixpad_unknown_button",
        "action": "released"
    },
    "origin": "LOCAL",
    "time_fired": "2019-11-27T07:19:03.929251+00:00",
    "context": {
        "id": "b7d14a81e22b4cf68448d4e2773d0232",
        "parent_id": null,
        "user_id": null
    }
}
Event 4 fired 11:19 PM:
{
        "action": "pressed"
    },
    "time_fired": "2019-11-27T07:19:03.677444+00:00",
        "id": "0a97d68b41df4669b99ba0960a59a4f3",
    }
}
Event 3 fired 11:19 PM:
{
        "action": "released"
    },
    "time_fired": "2019-11-27T07:19:02.780355+00:00",
        "id": "492b164da19d482585573b6711b27ae8",
    }
}
Event 2 fired 11:19 PM:
{
        "action": "pressed"
    },
    "time_fired": "2019-11-27T07:19:02.577932+00:00",
        "id": "68a0ddcd279a48af919f33d85cb67df4",
    }
}
Event 1 fired 11:19 PM:
{
        "action": "single"
    },
    "time_fired": "2019-11-27T07:19:01.531607+00:00",
        "id": "1e7d148e410648789f67d28798afd3cd",
    }
}
Event 0 fired 11:18 PM:
{
        "action": "single"
    },
    "time_fired": "2019-11-27T07:18:58.301455+00:00",
        "id": "7ea3d8315ada481c9293eb604617cdef",
    }
}

OK, went way beyond my comfort zone and tried to insert my keypad type into the code. It appears to have worked! Every keypad button shows up in Hassio as a Scene now. This is awesome.

I’m not sure if I will loose this and have to do it again when there are updates to Hass.io or if maybe this can get added to the code for future releases.

Sweet, glad you figured it out - you can make a PR on pylutron to get it included in upstream, but I’m sorta feeling if we start to have even more differences between HWQS and RA2, not sure if it makes sense to keep them in the same repo or split them up, but I’ll let the maintainer of pylutron decide on that one.

@Dansker - you should check out the conversations going on in the pylutron repo right now, I think what you’re talking about might be getting discussed in an issue or PR.

Jon,

Made a post on the pylutron board, thank you.

I can add an observation working with my Homeworks QS system which uses HWI_SLIM keypads. Adding HWI_SLIM to the list does create scenes for a certain type of button: ButtonType="SingleAction". The majority of my buttons are ButtonType="AdvancedToggle" and these don’t show up as scenes in HA. I have not yet been able to get the right (id: name / action: single/pressed) combination to successfully get the lutron_event to simulate a button press on any type of my keypad buttons. However, I can turn_on a scene for the single action buttons.