M5 Stack Atom Echo installation

*** update:
I installed it successfully using this procedure by Mostly Chris.

Hello,

After the recent upgrade to ESP Home, my Atom Echo failed to connect. From memory it was hostname error.

I have tried, so far without success, to reinstall it using this tutorial here.

I keep running into errors. I installed the firmware and I can see it available for adoption.

but when I attempt adoption it fails claiming there is insufficient space for an OTA installation. I then try to install it via the USB cable attached to the computer, the installation looks to have been completed but it again fails to connect.

Here is what I am seeing in the logs:

[15:31:07]E (822) esp_image: Image length 1835552 doesn’t fit in partition length 1835008
[15:31:07]E (823) boot: OTA app partition slot 0 is not bootable
[15:31:07]E (825) esp_image: image at 0x1d0000 has invalid magic byte (nothing flashed here?)
[15:31:07]E (833) boot: OTA app partition slot 1 is not bootable
[15:31:07]E (839) boot: No bootable app partitions in the partition table

This is the configuration I am trying to go with:

substitutions:
  name: atom-echo
  friendly_name: Atom Echo

packages:
  m5stack.atom-echo-voice-assistant: github://esphome/firmware/voice-assistant/m5stack-atom-echo.yaml@main

esphome:
  name: ${name}
  name_add_mac_suffix: false
  friendly_name: ${friendly_name}

api:
  encryption:
    key: evcvNhEvKLDIvcXM22cF6n+PXsUZpKWbyqkHkfig0gs=

wifi:
  ssid: !secret wifi_ssid
  password: !secret wifi_password

If I delete the ESP Home profile, it becomes immediately available for adoption and I repeat the process over and over.

Is there a better way to set up this up? Has anyone got it to work?

1 Like

I’m having the same issue, which I have detailed with logs etc here: "Error: The OTA partition on the ESP is too small" after updating to latest esphome version · Issue #5714 · esphome/issues · GitHub

FWIW Ready-Made Projects — ESPHome still works for me and I can get a working Voice Assistant in Home Assistant, I just can’t adopt it with the voice assistant config (I can with the ESP Home web config). Which is a shame because I want to make some modifications the VA config.

N.B ESPhome adoption is not necessary to have a working VA in Home Assistant

I think our experience narrows it down to an issue with the packaged firmware - I have raised an issue here: M5 Stack Atom Echo VA firmware does not install locally - image too big? · Issue #227 · esphome/firmware · GitHub

1 Like

I have the same issue, with the same loop. That Mostly Chris link seems to get me a step further, I can see the device online now.

1 Like

Thanks, I have found I could get it working following the Mostly Chris instructions here.

I got it working by rolling back the version as detailed here:

2 Likes

I seem to have it working, but I haven’t tried the wake word setup yet. Quite happy to continue pressing the button at this stage.