M5 Stack Atom Echo installation

*** update:
I installed it successfully using this procedure by Mostly Chris.

Hello,

After the recent upgrade to ESP Home, my Atom Echo failed to connect. From memory it was hostname error.

I have tried, so far without success, to reinstall it using this tutorial here.

I keep running into errors. I installed the firmware and I can see it available for adoption.

but when I attempt adoption it fails claiming there is insufficient space for an OTA installation. I then try to install it via the USB cable attached to the computer, the installation looks to have been completed but it again fails to connect.

Here is what I am seeing in the logs:

[15:31:07]E (822) esp_image: Image length 1835552 doesn’t fit in partition length 1835008
[15:31:07]E (823) boot: OTA app partition slot 0 is not bootable
[15:31:07]E (825) esp_image: image at 0x1d0000 has invalid magic byte (nothing flashed here?)
[15:31:07]E (833) boot: OTA app partition slot 1 is not bootable
[15:31:07]E (839) boot: No bootable app partitions in the partition table

This is the configuration I am trying to go with:

substitutions:
  name: atom-echo
  friendly_name: Atom Echo

packages:
  m5stack.atom-echo-voice-assistant: github://esphome/firmware/voice-assistant/m5stack-atom-echo.yaml@main

esphome:
  name: ${name}
  name_add_mac_suffix: false
  friendly_name: ${friendly_name}

api:
  encryption:
    key: evcvNhEvKLDIvcXM22cF6n+PXsUZpKWbyqkHkfig0gs=

wifi:
  ssid: !secret wifi_ssid
  password: !secret wifi_password

If I delete the ESP Home profile, it becomes immediately available for adoption and I repeat the process over and over.

Is there a better way to set up this up? Has anyone got it to work?

1 Like

I’m having the same issue, which I have detailed with logs etc here: "Error: The OTA partition on the ESP is too small" after updating to latest esphome version · Issue #5714 · esphome/issues · GitHub

FWIW Ready-Made Projects — ESPHome still works for me and I can get a working Voice Assistant in Home Assistant, I just can’t adopt it with the voice assistant config (I can with the ESP Home web config). Which is a shame because I want to make some modifications the VA config.

N.B ESPhome adoption is not necessary to have a working VA in Home Assistant

I think our experience narrows it down to an issue with the packaged firmware - I have raised an issue here: M5 Stack Atom Echo VA firmware does not install locally - image too big? · Issue #227 · esphome/firmware · GitHub

1 Like

I have the same issue, with the same loop. That Mostly Chris link seems to get me a step further, I can see the device online now.

1 Like

Thanks, I have found I could get it working following the Mostly Chris instructions here.

I got it working by rolling back the version as detailed here:

2 Likes

I seem to have it working, but I haven’t tried the wake word setup yet. Quite happy to continue pressing the button at this stage.

anybody any idea how to factory reset the echo? mine will not come out of the bootloop. I’ve tried all the configs in this thread and the git issue

i fear this one may be bricked

the last version from git worked fine with ondevice wakeword. Remember to clean the build files, sometimes it seems to mix something up.

@Micha-Btz Any link please ?

ich nutze diesen