Mail and Packages: Custom component for UPS, FEDEX, and USPS

Within Docker. I’d started building my own Docker containers to add the required bits in automatically instead of having to run them every time i update.

You need to install imagmagick inside the VM. I also use PROXMOX and have it manually installed HASS in a CT (LXC container) instead of a VM, less overhead than the VM in PROXMOX. I used the ‘Alternative Installs’ as a guide.

You do lose access to the add-on library that is part of Hass.io.

@gdreelin, Would you feel comfortable forwarding one of the messages as an example? This component relies on the subject line of the email to calculate status numbers. Can you also provide what country you are in?

Oh dang I like that add-on part. I used Wiskerz007 scripts for adding HASSIO to Proxmox which I think is just a VM. Darn really wanted to use this too but I am assuming to load that imagmagick it has to be a way to do installs and updates. The version I have of HA only has the basic command line with it.

Sure I will post one here. I am in the US so I was thinking it maybe different because of that.

I also checked each one I had for the last year and all come from the same address.

See this post for a possible solution to installing imagemagick in Hass.io.

It appears you are subscribed to a UPS service called Quantum View which is meant for businesses with complex tracking needs.

Consumers subscribe to UPS MyChoice. This is what our email logic is based on. We are also in the US.

In order to support Quantum we would need all possible subject lines that are sent for shipment status changes. I will add some notes in the development project, I don’t have immediate plans to implement. There are other details that would need to be hashed out and implemented in order to add this method and them majority of users are most likely using the consumer tool from UPS.

Humm strange I went to my UPS MyChoice and it looks basic to me. I don’t remember getting an option for non-quantum view. I just signed up under the MyChoice section like you did when this was a component in HA… oh well thanks for the help.

I updated the repository and created a release to version 0.0.3-alpha. This should correct the USPS image issues and also remove the extra irrelevant images USPS is now putting in it’s emails. The mail images are all sized the same and should no longer stack when rotating through the gif.

I seem to be getting many “Setup of platform is taking over 10 seconds.” warning messages. I’m not sure if the component is the cause or something else. Please report back issues on github

I get this all the time, but everything runs fine so I’m sure it’s fine to ignore.

I get it to but for all the components I’m loading. It’s fine to ignore but annoying it’s filing up the log on start

I was also getting tons of those… I ended up removing the component as I was trying to cleanup a few errors in log and haven’t tried again. In watching debug it seems it just tries checking immediately while other things are starting. Is there a way to delay the start of the first email check? Or reduce the frequency just slightly? I feel like that might help get rid of the 10 second messages.

I was thinking that may be the cause of the delay because the message are not there if I disable it. I can see the image gets updated right away. The frequency is only every 5 minutes. There are some efficiencies in the process I would like to implement but I’m not complete sure how to yet. I will also have to look into how other components start.

Almost there just doing more testing.

configflow

1 Like

Integration? Awesome!

Only issue I haven’t been able to fix with it is getting the camera.py to setup via config flow :frowning:
Easy work around is just using the local_file camera anyways which it was a hack of :stuck_out_tongue:

Feel free to give it a run down.

https://github.com/firstof9/Home-Assistant-Mail-And-Packages/tree/config_flow/custom_components/mail_and_packages

1 Like

I’ve noticed that the transition between mail in the GIF can be slow and inconsistent in the Lovelace card. I have not set up a camera for it. Do you notice a difference between the card and the camera transition time between mail pieces? If the camera is more consistent with the 2 sec timing, can it be incorporated into the card?

I never really used the card, I’ve only used the local file camera to display the image.

Did you have this working in Hassio? Sorry a little new to some of this - looks like might have, interested in this if so. Thanks