Mail and Packages: Custom component for UPS, FEDEX, and USPS

Are you running the beta?

Edit: Found the cause, pushing b3 out the door.

1 Like

Wow, that was fast :rofl:
Looks good on reboot after update, Iā€™ll check back in as I monitor the logs.

Thanks @firstof9

1 Like

How does the camera image get generated? I mustā€™ve missed a step somewhere.

Hello
I keep getting the following error when I try to sent up my mail server? I have tried both my aol and gmail account and nothing has worked. I probably just dont know what I am doing, so any help is appreciated.

ā€œUnable to connect or login to the mail server. Please check the log for details.ā€ - not sure what log it wants me to look at.

Thank

You must have a USPS informed delivery email for the current day with images and the path you gave in the settings for the image must be valid and writable.

Pleas see the gmail section of the wiki. An app password may be required.

1 Like

The home-assistant.log in your configuration directory ie: /config/home-assistant.log

Thank you the app password is what I needed to do

1 Like

Iā€™m having trouble getting the Custom Lovelace Card set up. The card config code in the Card instructions doesnā€™t seem to be formatted correctly (I had to remove the dash and all the tabs), so my code now looks like this:

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 10.04.08 AM

That got the initial card working with only the camera entity. I tried adding the sensors in the config and it turned the card into a bit of a mess. I donā€™t have 2 packages in transit, but I do have two pieces of mail from USPS, for example. One of those sensors is also showing as just a number off in the left margin.

Is there some additional configuration I need to do for the card that isnā€™t listed on the readme?

Just wanted to say thanks to moralmunky for the time building this. Got it installed and set upā€¦so far running perfectly. For firstof9, thanks for helping in this forum to back up moralmunky, the advice youā€™ve given others was incredibly helpful as were the icons. Still playing with it for what I want to see, but itā€™s working great.

I really appreciate everything on here.

1 Like

@jsaturday, From your screen shot, each field labeled entity should be showing a label for what sensor should be chosen. Maybe your browser cache needs to be emptied?

At any rate, the text configuration that is generated from the card config UI should be something like this:

camera: false
camera_entity: camera.mail_usps
deliveries_message: sensor.mail_deliveries_message
details: true
fedex_packages: sensor.mail_fedex_packages
gif: /local/mail_and_packages/mail_today.gif
image: true
name: Mail Summary
packages_delivered: sensor.mail_packages_delivered
packages_in_transit: sensor.mail_packages_in_transit
type: 'custom:mail-and-packages-card'
updated: sensor.mail_updated
ups_packages: sensor.mail_ups_packages
uspsMail: sensor.mail_usps_mail
usps_mail: sensor.mail_usps_mail
usps_packages: sensor.mail_usps_packages

@jrogers, I may have got it going but @firstof9 deserves huge kudos. They have kept it alive and provided great contributions to my mushed up code :wink:

2 Likes

Strange, clearing the cache seems to have done the trick! I assume the ā€œmail deliveries messageā€ is from one of the example custom sensors in the readme?

Thereā€™s an updated one on the Wiki

Wow after my family got frustrated that Iā€™m the only one who can see the email coming for the day because USPS doesnā€™t allow multiple accounts to receive the emails, wow that would be so hard, I searched and found this. Looks like it will show everyone using HA what mail is coming for the day and the pictures. Does this work on the iOS mobile app? Or more specifically work without cutting off a lot?

So I did the following on 0.112.4:

• Go to Community > Integrations > three dots in the top right > Custom Repositories
  • Add in: https://github.com/moralmunky/Home-Assistant-Mail-And-Packages
  • Set Category to Integration.
  • Click ADD and X out of the Custom repositories area
  • Find the Mail and Packages option and click INSTALL then INSTALL again
  • Restart HA
  • Go to Configuration > Integration > + >

and thatā€™s where I got stuck. No option for Mail and Packages.

Note only thing in my logs which is obviously supposed to be there is:

2020-07-09 08:29:30 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom integration for mail_and_packages which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant.

EDIT: Based on some suggestions I clicked on my profile, it was set to English. Changed it to Dansk and then back to English. No save buttons I could see. Went back and no joy.

EDIT: SOLVED. Looks like clearing the browser cache helped. Tried with IE and Edge before doing so but couldnā€™t even get the login screen to come up in those browsers.

1 Like

Usual culprit is the cache. Glad you got it sorted.

Enjoy!

Yep, how do I get the custom:mail-and-packages-card assuming thatā€™s the best way to see the USPS images of the mail coming?

Also is there anything in the HA logs that shows it triggered a mail check? I know I set it to only check ever 60 minutes but assuming it will create that .homeassistant folder for me as part of the image path ā€œ/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/images/mail_and_packages/ā€ value and I donā€™t have to create it manually, I havenā€™t seen anything trigger in the logs or anything.

Thereā€™s a sensor sensor.mail_updated that tells you the timestamp it last checked.

This card is on @moralmunkyā€™s github, check his repos.

If youā€™re using hassOS or the docker container your path should be something like: /config/images/mail_and_packages/

Thanks, Iā€™m guessing that translates to

/usr/share/hassio/homeassistant/www/images

and mail_and_packages would be under that.

Thanks

JR