Mail and Packages: Custom component for UPS, FEDEX, and USPS

Just saw the update, in my email the pictures are there. The card shows 3 pieces of mail. The picture shows no mail. Something changed in one of the betas. Not sure how to get the pictures back. I looked at the integration and I do not see the path to the photos. I also see the last update to the files was on 1/17.

I would need to see debug logs for this instance to see what’s happening.

The is no image path in the setup (page 2).

Every time it checks your mail for the day.

This feature is still experimental and doesn’t get cleaned up just yet. Not every Amazon Delivered email containers the image either.

If you are using the camera, double check your automation, the mail gif filename always changes each time the email is checked right now.

I am talking about the image that gets pulled from the USPS email. I just noticed there is no image path in the resent beta update. Maybe this is the issue.

I just went back to the beta b32 and there is no issue. I’ll try updating directly to this and see if the path is still showing.

Absolutey. was just curious if others had recently started experiencing similiar issues. I have been using this for quite a while and other than updating this and HA, I have not changed my config, and I feel like it started recently. No worries at all. Next time it happens I’ll try to get better details.

1 Like

The configuration entry is removed as it’s now a hardcoded path.

Then something is wrong as the pictures are not showing up. What path is hard coded? I can check if the pictures are there.

So how often does it check? When it finds the email is that when the pictures are copied? If so, can I mark the mail as unread to trigger it to recopy as no pictures are showing? When does it clear today’s mail and remove the pictures?

That’s configured by you, I think the default is every 5 mins.

www/mail_and_packages/ is the default location.

Yes

No they’re recopied each time the email is checked.

All image are cleaned up after they’re made into the gif image.

Picture are there, but the card shows no mail.

Using the custom card?

Yes. I see the issue. The path changed and I did not notice it. I need to modify the card. I had before the image stored in my image directory it was called mail today. No image is call that in the new directory.

1 Like

Feel free to discuss the change on the github issue.

I’ll comment there, but I believe an update to this discussion will be needed also to help others. The fast changing world of Home Assistant. Some how I missed the changes when I updated the beta. That’s what happens when you do stuff in the middle of the night. :grin:
Old config

gif: /config/www/images/mail_today.gif

What needs to change?

Pre release of 0.05 of the custom card has been pushed to the repository and should now show as an update if you have installed using HACS.

@firstof9 the amazon collects the orders numbers as an attribute right? Could that update trigger the automation even though the state didn’t change?

Do you have any preliminary write on what changes need to be made to the card so that it displays the random gif file? Do you just put the path in that is now the default?

You must toggle on and set the sensor for GIF Sensor using the new sensor.mail_image_url OR set set the sensor for the camera entity. The user created camera entity must have the automation updated to use the sensor.mail_image_system_path which will supply the whole path to the camera entity

- alias: "Update USPS Mail Camera"
  trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id: sensor.mail_usps_mail

action:
    - service: local_file.update_file_path
      data_template:
        entity_id: camera.mail_usps
        file_path: >
          {% if states('sensor.mail_image_system_path') == None  %}
          /config/custom_components/mail_and_packages/mail_none.gif
          {% else %}
          {{ states('sensor.mail_image_system_path') }}
          {% endif %}

What happened to the option to keep the original name of the gif? Now it’s always a random file name and I can no longer send the gif through Node Red. How can I fix this?