Main interface switch for all lights?

I feel like this should be simple, but I can’t figure out how to do it. I just want a single switch in it’s on card that I can turn on and off all the lights with. Doing view:yes in the group section of my config file just adds a tab at the top. What am I missing?

Create a Scene to have all the lights on, then put that scene in a group on it’s own (without view: yes).

That might do what you want.

The newly added Light Group should take care of this for you. You can create a single group with every light as an entity, and then put that single item on whatever card you want.

for this do I have to put in all the light entities individually? I tried just putting in group.all_lights but it’s giving me this error…

ERROR:homeassistant.loader:Unable to find component light.group
Failed config
General Errors:
- Platform not found: light.group
Successful config (partial)

Yeah, to use the Light Group config, you need to add each light individually to the group. I don’t believe you can use an existing group. That said, if you already have group.all_lights defined, you should be able to copy your block of entities from group.all_lights into your light group to save time.

There is a group.all_lights automatically created by homeassistant, but it is hidden by default.

Add

group.all_lights:
  hidden: false

To your customize, then create a card:

group:
  Lights:
    - group.all_lights

More info on all_* automatic groups…

2 Likes

Hey thanks, I tried all of this, but did not get a card. I assumed that this:

group:
  Lights:
    - group.all_lights

goes in the configuration.yaml?

Yes, unless you have a groups.yaml defined, in which case it goes in there without the group: line.

Hmm… I don’t have it defined in there. Still no luck with this.

Can you share your configuration.yaml in a code block?

Hey, so I got the all lights card to show up. I had the hidden:false not entered correctly. Fixed that, and it showed up. However, it has switches for every single light underneath it in the card. Is there a way to get rid of them so it’s just the single all lights switch?

2 Likes