Make a dumb doorbell smart with Shelly 1

Its should be reported on the device listing of the integration as an entity, it is not shown on the shelly web interface

The Shelly 1 doesn’t report the temperature.

Looks like the power monitoring version does, that is all I have and they started reporting device temp since 0.118

The Shelly 1PM indeed has power monitoring and a temperature sensor.

This one from an obsolete router

1 Like

That one looks good. Are you able to connect another adapter however to compare?

Nope, and my Shelly died :frowning: I will buy a new one with a new adapter cause I already miss it right now! That should work better I suppose.

Hi Everyone - (might be a noob question but) does the Shelly Uni (see Shelly website) work, in the case of the dumb doorbell wiring scenario in US, where the buttons/chimes are (usually) powered by low voltage (12-24V) AC?

I mean, if we want to get rid of the 12V DC required by Shelly 1? Or maybe I didn’t read the specs correctly?

Here’s the manual: https://shelly.cloud/documents/user_guide/shelly_uni_multi_language.pdf … There’s this fig. 4B on page 2.

1 Like

@gerard33
Please note that the wiring diagram is incorrect.
I on Shelly must be connected to + from the AC-DC transformer
O on Shelly must be connected to + on the doorbell chime
- on the doorbell chime must be connected to - on the DC side of the transformer
Please see figure 2 of the Shelly 1 manual https://shelly.cloud/documents/user_guide/shelly_1.pdf

Please mind the polarity. Figure 2 in the manual: https://shelly.cloud/documents/user_guide/shelly_1.pdf

• goes on N and - goes on L.

Yes, Shelly Uni will work with 12VAC in figure 4B. Shelly 1 will require 12VDC, but please mind the requirements of your doorbell chime.

Hi @gerard33,

Love this project!

I’ve tested the same setup, but I struggle with the fact that often it takes over a minute for Home Assistant to notice that the state has changed. I never had this kind of latency in my old setup. I’ve moved house, and changed my access point to TP-link Deco (in AP mode). Could this mean I have networking issues?

When I toggle lights in HASSIO the change is always immediate. But the state of the Shellies is communicated much slower. This leads me to believe that Shelly or HASSIO might be the reason why I get trouble?

A minute is a pretty long time for someone to hold the doorbell button…

Good to hear you like the project :smiley:
That minute delay is way too long indeed. There is certainly something wrong somewhere.
I get an instant reaction when the doorbell is pressed.
What integration are you using for the Shelly’s? Is it MQTT, Shelly4Hass or the standard HA integration?
Maybe you can switch integrations to see if that fixes the issue?

Though I understand your remark (one red wire for + and and blue wire for - from the transformer makes sense), the wiring diagram is correct and I can assure you that it’s working fine for me :grinning:

The wiring in my house from the transformer to the button and chime was originally with 2 red wires connected to the transformer. Seems to be a normal solution, see the diagram below.

Guess it’s just a matter of taste how to wire it so the circuit get’s closed when pressing the button.

Screenshot_1

@gerard33 Thanks for the tips!

Your comment made me think. I have also set up MQTT to start working with Zigbee.

Will see if I can sort it out by switching integrations. :slight_smile:

With ShellyforHass I have the notifications and changes in milliseconds.

1 Like

I’ve got a new Shelly 1 and the temperature is good for now with the same adapter.

That’s good to hear. Probably something wrong with your previous Shelly then.

I just set this up and it works like a charm. Thank you for figuring this one out!

When I set it up I was a bit surprised that my doorbell just kept on going which was a bit confusing.

I solved this by using the auto off function in the Shelly.

On your Shelly, choose button type ACTIVATION SWITCH and then enter the desired auto off time in the TIMER settings.

I’m preparing for the installation and have a question. On the connection diagram, the 2 red wires going out the 8v tranformer are connected to a seperate connector?

At the moment my transformer has 1red and 1 blue wire connected (see image)!
20210206_140445|273x500