Make Calendar integration only for Admin users

Please make the calendar integration only for Admin users, or at least the visibilty thereof in de sidebar. As of now there is no way to make my wife no see my full calendar; work and private, even though she is not an admin.

Don’t add your calendar to HA, or create a different calendar and add that one.

Ehm…? Really?

2 Likes

Yes, really.

Your request is highly self-absorbed. Most of us (who don’t use HA as admins) don’t want to lose the ability to see and manipulate calendars configured in HA, just because you want your data hidden from your partner.

From a technical standpoint, the HA security model is currently such that nearly all entity objects are visible to everyone who has an account on the system; if you dislike that, contributions to add ACLs for entities are welcome.

Well, the reason for the original request is a bit weird for me too, but I use calendars for making heating schedules for my rooms and there it would be nice to not have them all visible for every user.

Well, self absorbed is a bit strong worded, isn’t it? It’s relatively easy to make it an option, just as for add ons, no?

These can be hidden, and then only administrators would have easy access to them.

Options have to be maintained, and this adds a cost. It would also only solve the problem for calendars.

Better to wait until there is an ACL system for entities, and work around the issue for now.

I will have to look into that.

“admin” in Home Assistant does not really do anything. The feature was partially implemented over a year ago and never finished. There is even a warning when you use it saying as such:

The user group feature is a work in progress. The user will be unable to administer the instance via the UI. We’re still auditing all management API endpoints to ensure that they correctly limit access to administrators.

Permissions do not really exist in HA. Do not give access to any user that do you not want to have 100% full access to everything added to HA. If you give your wife a Home Assistant account and you have your personal Google account linked, she now has full access to your Google account. That is just how auth and integrations work in HA. There is absolutely zero isolation.

If you want permissions go vote for this other feature request: Access Control: A Comprehensive Standard Integration Into The Core

See also: WTH2 - WTH!? No RBAC - Role Based Access Control? (Users & Groups rights)

1 Like