Make HA app work on android 5, stuck on : intitializing

Hi,

i have an old android indoor device, runs without playstore
so installed this apk:

com.google.android.webview_95.0.4638.74-463807400_minAPI21(armeabi-v7a)(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk (latest webview i can find for android 5)

and then:

home-assistant-minimal-2022.6.0.apk

when i start, it stays on intitializing screen, i never get the prompt to enter user/password

i also enabled for testing the auth providers to login without user/pass on local net, but that didnt work either

can i get this running?

when in the initializing screen, i see some long auth_callback url (tested with opera browser)
i never get the user/password fields, just stuck
no errors or warning in logs

if you had to install android system webview, then most likely your device is not using that by default. I do not think Android 5 devices allow changing the default webview package. If you have a custom ROM I think there is an exposed module that lets you set it, but you are kinda on your own here.

reference: Unable to get past initialization screen after entering URL · Issue #395 · home-assistant/android · GitHub

Ah ok, it’s indeed an hikvision device, without any apps, created for intercom purposes…
HA always needs WebView? Doesn’t mather what app I test?

I’ll have a look at the thread, thnx for info

yes thats how the frontend is loaded

Ah, seems you had the same issue according to that GitHub page?

You just installed the WebView APK and then only this apk below afterwards?

https://repo.xposed.info/module/net.typeblog.webview

Or what do you mean by custom ROM >> exposed module?

if you dont know what rooting, custom ROMs and xposed are then this may not work for you, its a pretty advanced android topic. Your device may not ship with compatible webview unfortunately.

Edit: android system webview is meant to be a system installed app, meaning if you had to manually install it then android will not use it by default. The xposed module makes it a system installed app so it can be used.

Ok, thx for feedback, appreciated…:slight_smile: