Make you wife love your home automations!

We all love automating stuff, but sometimes its a little harder to make our partner understand the need and the fun from it.
and then it can be very helpfull to do some stuff esspecially for your partner to make her/him feel special.
and no better way to do that by using automations on a birthday.

i came up with this idea:

about 6 times during the day that my wife had her birthday i did let my automations speak to her in the livingroom.
to make sure she got the messages i thought about this way:

1. at a specific time a notify was send to her mobile and with TTS it was spoken too. a message like:
    there is a gift ready for you. click on the dashboard on the giftbox for more information
  2. on the dashboard i created a giftbox widget and when she clicked on it she would get a special message that was for that moment only, something like:
    Dear Olinde, you have your birthday today and we want it to be a special day. Rene and I will do everything today to make you feel special. Thats why we want you to look under the table in the livingroom inside the bear that is lying there
  3. i did hide 6 gifts in the night before around the house

make it good gifts and very special text and you partner will love your home automation for the rest of the year :wink:

here is the code i used. its for my own appdaemon app, so you wont be able to do anything with it, but maybe it gives someone an idea how to get on with this. (i only translated the part for 1 gift, there were 6)

verjaardag1:
  module: new_actions
  class: actions
  verlichtingslog: *var1
  sensors:
    time: {"start": "10:00:00"}
  action_1:
    input_boolean.olinde: {"value": "on"}
    speak: {"message": "there is a gift ready for you. click on the dashboard on the giftbox for more information","language": "nl","importance": 1}
    sensor.notify_message: {"value": " there is a gift ready for you. click on the dashboard on the giftbox for more information "}
verjaardag1a:
  module: new_actions
  class: actions
  verlichtingslog: *var1
  hold_for_list:
    time: {"start": "10:59:00", "end": "10:00:00"}
  sensors:
    input_boolean.olinde: {"new_state": "off"}
  action_1:
    input_boolean.olinde: {"value": "on"}
    speak: {"message": "Dear Olinde, you have your birthday today and we want it to be a special day. Rene and I will do everything today to make you feel special. Thats why we want you to look under the table in the livingroom inside the bear that is lying there.","language": "nl","importance": 1}
10 Likes

I like! Really good ideal… Wife acceptance is very hard to get :wink:

1 Like

not for me, but i make extra efford like this to make her love it :wink:
i am at the point that she asks me if i can do this or that to make her live more easy :wink:

so dont let them like it to much or you will be busy all day automating for your partner :wink:

1 Like

My wife is more like: why do I still need to turn off lights when it’s bright …why is the ac not automatic… Well…I answer: because u complain about the time I already spend on the system but I’ll implement those right after getting hass stable …well she’s right.with new releases the time to adapt certain components can be enormous. But this is just a difference… We won’t get divorced :wink:

1 Like

thats about setting priority!
implement the light automation and automatic AC first and then worry about stability.

if it sometimes isnt working you can always say, sorry i need more time to make it stable.
and when she complains about the amount of time you spent you can say: you want me to make it stable so i need to spend time :wink:

that way you always make her feel, you are just busy automating for her :wink:

1 Like

We r already at the point if no return… She forbids me to talk about home assistant :wink: well… But I will take it into account … Selling my interests for her good :wink:

1 Like

see? you got the wrong order.
you need to make her ask what more HA can do for her :wink:
buy her a new automated washer dryer you can intergrate and let it send her notifies like:
“my dear …, i know you dont like to come near me, but i have done everything i can. the wash is dry, but you i need you to tell that husband of yours to come and fold the wash for you.”

im sure she will never complain about HA again :stuck_out_tongue:

But to be honest. I spend every evening on it instead of sharing a nice moment and enjoying the theater automations :wink:

you are right, thats hard to sell :wink:

Hahaha…yeah… Sounds compromising :wink: well for the moment I am more like getting my automations and devices working properly. Like actually. One ac zwave is lost …just lost … I upgraded to Python 3.6.4 …copy paste and woooom something is going wrong. Try to explain this to your wife … Hard job :wink: BTW.all other 3 are showing up :slight_smile:

Edit: it’s there …watched in the wrong place :slight_smile:

1 Like

anything for lovers? lol

for the male or nor married partners that arnt interested in automating its the same :wink:
why doesnt it wonder me that you off all asks that question? :wink: