Making the easiest smart doorbell with Sonoff mini

Finally, I have sometimes to make the idea into a reality. The idea of turning my dumb doorbell into a smart one has been exhausting since I don’t have time nor skill to do lots of stuff with soldering and playing around with Arduino. Don’t get me wrong it would be fun if I can find the time to do it.

Anyway, it strikes me to used sonoff mini (since I have 1 set available) and after reading the detail on the Sonoff homepage, I found out that it’s perfect for this project. Sonoff Mini has a ‘pulse’ setup which allows me to make the bell button shoot on in .5 seconds and retract it to off without any problem.

Setting it up is just as simple as connecting the cable to the button, to Sonoff Mini and the bell, and last but not least the electric socket. That it!

Using Alexx SonoffLAN addon making HA discover my Sonoff Mini is just as simple and making it work just a simple of making the yaml automation.

So, that’s all folks.

PROTOTYPE

For those who would like to know how I do it, you can go to my blogs with a detail instructions at https://krdesigns.com/articles/transform-dumb-doorbell-to-smart-doorbell

8 Likes

Hi. I am new here and fairly new to smart home. One idea has been itching my brain for a long time, and Your creation is very close to it) My doorbell button look like a light switch, which gave me an idea: is it possible to make smart button (i.e. Sonoff mini in Your case) change assigned action depending on a door sensor? For example - when the door is closed, the push of a doorbell rings a doorbell. When the door is open (I am leaving home, or coming home) the push of a doorbell turns all the lights at home off, or on(maybe only corridor lights on).

This should be possible and HA will allow you to create the automations.