Manual edits in core.entity_registry do not persist

I still prefer to make changes to the the entity registry by doing manual edits, mainly because it is easier to change entity names on a text editor rather than having to do it one by one on the GUI.

Nonetheless, my hassio (latest version) is somehow restoring the core.entity_registry file when I restart it, thus loosing my changes.

Does hassio store entity information somewhere else besides the core.entity_registry file?

I always stop HA before editing those files.

1 Like

I actually sync them with the GIT addon instead of editing directly on the file itself.
I has been working perfectly until I upgraded to the last version. I’m not sure if it was just a coincidence or if there is any change on this version that behaves like this.

Anyway, if anyone has a tip regarding the storage of the entity registry somewhere else besides the core.entity_registry file, please let me know.

Is there some other files where the registry is stored?
I keep getting my entities renamed (as well as devices) after modifying the registry (by using git pull) and rebooting hassio.

and how do you edit those file if HA is closed?
I usually use visual studio code but I can’t use it if its closed :stuck_out_tongue:

through samba

1 Like

With nano in a terminal.

1 Like

thanks to you both, the only thing I have that is close to a linux system is the raspberry pi HA is using so I will try samba first :stuck_out_tongue:

I did just realize that you can change the name in the GUI though, so I will probably just use it for backing up my setup

image image

digging this up bc it gave me a headache, maybe it’ll help sb:

if you are running ha supervised and edit the core.entity file make sure you go to “developer options” - “services” - “stop home assistant service” first. as long as the service is running the edited file will be reverted immediately

i had to reconfigure my mqtt and ended up with 50 something entities that had their names changed. this was the only way i found to rename them (back) w/o clicking through each one individually via gui

1 Like