Manual migration without backup

Dear community,

I am quite desperate with my situation. The upgrade from ha core 2024.7.1 to 2024.8.3 never ends. I have also tried to do a full backup and restore in a new Oracle Vbox with a new vdi but again…the recovery process fails. Having said that, I think that maybe it is a good opportunity to do some cleansing activities and migrate manually all the things but I am not sure what steps I need to do for: migrating config, migrating integrations, migrating components, migrating custom components and migrating users. Could someone give me a hint?

Many thanks in advance

You copy the ENTIRE contents of your config folder including all hidden files to the new box.

Thats it. (essentially that’s what backup is doing too)

That said it your install is unhealthy it will move unhealthy. You - need - to get back to a working install before you try to migrate or you will have pain. Don’t attempt to move an install actively having issues. (like mid-.8.-dB migration)

What do you mean with mid-.8.-dB?? I had in mind to copy the entire registry db.

This.

You’re fighting the database upgrade in x.8

Dont try to move it WHILE you’re also fighting this issue. It will end in pain. Don’t try to solve a problem by introducing a new major change.

Instead roll back to x.7. (pre upgrade attempt) move THAT then try te update again.

Is there something that I could do?? I am IT eng so just tell me…

You do t have enough here to diagnose the prob.

There are three or four known vectors impacting migration from x.7 to x.8 and they all have wildly different intervention.

You’ll have to properly troubleshoot your specific issue and that starts with logs so we know what’s actually happening. So first. Grab logs. If you don’t know how. Fid the cookbook here on the community site and there’s a section for troubleshooting HA after a reboot. (your log restarts on reboot and the old log is renamed to something like log.1 but I don’t have the instructions I front of me)

Then of. You do want to try the upgrade on better gear… revert to the last known good version (Restore your backup) to. The last. Time you didn’t have the issue then migrate THAT (including matching the version on the new installation) before you try the upgrade again.

But a universal truth from someone who professionally troubleshoots enterprise level identity issues for a living - don’t change the platform in the middle of an incident. You will regret it.and when things blow up you won’t know if it was your original issue or the new stuff…

Yes, I agree with your answer but I think if I migrate one by one all of the components I could detect which one is causing the noise. I want also to update some configuration parameters because when I started with HA almost everything was written in the config file and now a lot of things are configured thanks to the UI and a lot of parameters are giving me the “deprecated” message. So…could you tell me which folders or things I need to copy and in which order do you recommend?

I will not, because it doesn’t work like that. You can’t copy just an integration like that.

Revert, and then move to new and then migrate

Or

revert and troubleshoot.

Or blow it away and start over. (don’t recommend)

Those are basically your options.

1 Like