Manually add z-wave routes?

So I’m using Z-WaveJS2MQTT with a Nortek HUSBZB-1 stick and I have a few nodes that I know for sure that should have better routes to the controller than they currently have. I’ve done full network healing as well as tried to manually heal each node but they are still not taking the correct paths (even though the neighbors are correct). Is there a way to manually add a route on a node to force a shorter path to the controller? I had this option on my previous HomeSeer setup. Thoughts?

No you cannot manually specify routes.

The network knows better than you do :wink:

2 Likes

Probably most of the time, but there may be valid reasons. You may want to reduce latency by forcing a direct connection to the hub. Or with the support of health checks, the driver might be able to find better routes on its own.

Here’s an article discussing those points:

In the end though:

I generally don’t recommend using APRs since the routing tends to be dynamic and it is often best to let the protocol find the best route.

So you really need to know what you’re doing…

2 Likes

The problem is the some nodes are in a better position physically, but the routes seems to be calculated poorly. In this example, you would expect that the Mud Room Outlet would have a direct connection to the controller and the Garage, Mud Room & Laundry lights would hop off the Outlet to get to the controller.

SEEMS to be. You don’t know the radio conditions that were behind the decision at the time the decision was made. There’s more to best communication path than how close something is. One of my controllers likes to parent to a switch halfway on the other side of my home - it shouldn’t but it works. so. Meh.

At the end of the day if it’s working - leave it alone. If it’s working but slowly heal - the device.

Well…this the primary reason for this post…lights are talking 5 seconds to respond or not at all. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve healed the nodes/network, adding outlets to extend reach, switching all nodes to no security to reduce latency. Nothing seems to be working as a solution.

This map doesn’t mean anything, the routes are not reflected on the map at all.

With the new map and routing features, it seems like some of the info in these post replies might be outdated?

Kind of. Advice is still if it isn’t broke don’t fix it. Even with the ability to add routes. I think Cornell has some posts up now about being very very cautious about manual routes.

Pretty much any post here that is more than two years old is likely to be outdated. That’s a feature, not a bug!

3 Likes