Manually changing the status of a device tracker

I posted this elsewhere on the forum but here is probably more appropriate, so apologies for the duplication.

I’m trying to figure out how configure a “fake” device_tracker or a template sensor that updates depending on the status of an inputboolean that shows a home or away status depending on multiple device trackers… what I’d like to see in the front-end though is an entity picture with “home” or “away” status in the orange bar:

With a template sensor method as mentioned above works very well but when it’s not in a group and displayed at the top of HomeAssistant, you do not get the status in the “orange” bar… which is what I’m trying to achieve.

The reason I mention a “fake” device_tracker is because I’m using multiple methods per person to track their whereabouts:

When any of these change state it updates an Input_boolean (e.g. input_boolean.mike_home) which in turn triggers my Home and Away scripts (light on/off, switches on/off, nest home/away, alarm system on/off etc)

- alias: 'Mike Home'
  condition:
    condition: state
    entity_id: input_boolean.mike_home
    state: 'off'
  trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id: device_tracker.pi_mikesiphone
      state: 'home' 
      entity_id: sensor.rfid
      state: '__REDACTED_ (RFID TAG NUMBER)'_ 
      entity_id: device_tracker.mikes_iphone
      state: 'home' 
      entity_id: sensor.mikes_keys
      state: 'happy-bubbles-ble' 
  action:
    - service: homeassistant.turn_on

- alias: 'Mike Away'
  condition:
    condition: state
    state: 'on'
  trigger:
      entity_id: device_tracker.pi_mikesiphone
      state: 'not_home'  
      entity_id: device_tracker.mikes_iphone
      state: 'not_home'
      entity_id: sensor.mikes_keys
      state: 'away'
  action:
    - service: homeassistant.turn_off

To summarise, I’m trying to get this:

To change from “home” and “away” based on the input booleans above… purely for aesthetics, and it could even replace the input booleans!

Hoping someone can help!

1 Like

Hi,
I don’t know If you can have a “fake” device tracker.
The best I came up with is a group of device trackers (or any other entity that has home/not home states) for each person.
If any of the elements of the group is “home”, then the group state is “home”, so it works as a cumulative device tracker.
Then you can set an entity_picture for each group in customization and the result is similar to an actual device tracker.
Afaik, you can’t set the entity picture through automation, so you can’t change the picture depending of the state, that’s the only limitation I found.

I hope this helps,
gl