Manually set time and date of HassOS

Hi,

As I am terribly afraid of an internet failure, I’d like to know if there is a way to manually set time and date of HassOS.
Thus just in case where there is no NTP and to keep the server working.

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Are you running on a Raspberry, then there are options for RTC hats instead.

Especially the ones based on the DS3231 should be good, but you need to research if there is some commands or codes needed to implement it in HassOS.

Thanks Wally.
I’ve seen this cheap RTC but it seems that it is not compatible with HassOS :frowning:
That’s why I am asking for such way to correct time and date in case of internet is gone.
I started a topic regarding RTC or GPS dongle that could do the trick but unfortunatelly, nobody answered :smiley: :smiley:

Well, it should be possible, since HassOS is just an alpine Linux, but I do not know how limited it is.

Another solution could be to find an old laptop and go with HassOS in Generic X86-64 setup.
This will give you a onboard RTC and you will also get a onboard UPS due to the battery.
I use this setup myself with an old laptop with a broken screen. Just make sure that you can still get into BIOS.

Many topics on HassOS RTCs point out the non possibility to use such device. And nobody knows why and everybody expect one day it’d be a reality :slight_smile:

Well, the laptop seems to be a good solution but I don’t have one and it means to start again the whole config. The Pi was a good tiny solution for such stuff.

I don’t know why a RTC plugin is not possible. I mean that the clock would run as the power is on.

The alternative might be to set up your own NTP service on your network, like a Raspy Zero with a RTC module and running the NTP service and maybe with a powerbank for a cell phone as a cheap UPS.

it does not seem to be too expensive. But it might need some skills I do not have

The installation of the raspy is just like with HassOS and the setup of the NTP service is not that difficult if you follow one of the many guides.
If all goes wrong, then it’s easy to start over and you have learned something new.
It will improve you understanding of HA at the same time and open up new possibilities too.

Thanks ! I’ll take a loot at it.
But, it’d be more convenient to do that on HA directly

True, but if you really want to make changes, then you need to choose another installation form than HassOS.
A Debian with a HA supervised installation in a docker container opens up a lot of possibilities, but it also requires an understanding of Linux.
A step on the way into that could be the NTP-service on a Raspy.

Yes, I know. I have no knowledge of Linux. That’s why I chose HassOS :slight_smile: