Matter devices "unavailable" despite reinstalling

Subject: Matter Server Integration Issue - Devices Unavailable

Hi Home Assistant Community,

I hope this post finds you well. I’m encountering an issue with my Matter Server integration in Home Assistant, and I’m reaching out to the community for some guidance.

All of my Matter devices are showing as “unavailable” in Home Assistant. They’re all from Aqara and my M2 hub is also connected to HomeKit. This issue started a few days ago, and despite reinstalling both the server add-on and the integration, the problem persists. Before this issue it has worked fine for months. I’ve checked the Matter Server log, and there are errors related to multicast groups and mDNS.

Here’s a snippet from the log:

[1700138212.211892][126:126] CHIP:DL: Failed to reset WiFi statistic counts
2023-11-16 13:36:52 core-matter-server chip.DL[126] ERROR MDNS failed to join multicast group on wlan0 for address type IPv4: src/inet/UDPEndPointImplSockets.cpp:777: Inet Error 0x00000110: Address not found
2023-11-16 13:36:52 core-matter-server chip.DL[126] ERROR MDNS failed to join multicast group on vethab07df7 for address type IPv4: src/inet/UDPEndPointImplSockets.cpp:777: Inet Error 0x00000110: Address not found

My configuration Details:

• Home Assistant OS Version: 11.1 (aarch64 / raspberrypi4-64)
  • Home Assistant Core: 2023.11.2
  • Home Assistant Supervisor: 2023.11.3
  • Matter Server Add-on Version: 4.10.2

Steps Taken:

• Reinstalled Matter Server add-on.
  • Reinstalled Matter integration.
  • Restarted Home Assistant and router.

Despite these efforts, the devices remain unavailable.
If anyone has experienced similar issues or has insights into the multicast group and mDNS errors in the Matter Server log, I would greatly appreciate your help.

If there are specific troubleshooting steps I should take or if there’s an update or workaround available, please share your knowledge. Your assistance will be invaluable in getting my Matter devices back online.

Thank you in advance for your time and support.

1 Like

Same issue here, I have 7 switchbot devices connected via the matter integration and they’re now all saying unavailable after working perfectly for weeks. Very similar error message in the log.

I am having the same issue, it seemed to be triggered by adding a 2nd wireless mini switch for me. Have tried removing and whatnot as well to no avail. Any luck?

Running on a windows 10 machine with HAOS installed on a VM.

Same here
Wiz gu10 bulb was working until some days ago noticed it being unavailable. Tried everything, re-adding etc, nothing worked. Furthest I got was error while matter registering device to home assistant. Switched the bulb to work with wiz integration for the time being

I’m having the same issue. The Matter integration doesn’t seem to be working at all for me with my AQARA M2 hub.

I have mine hooked via G3, and they’re working fine. It may be an issue with the M2. I hope this helps with troubleshooting.

Seems this issue is still not resolved, and maybe worse, commissioning Matter devices is failing for me since 2023.12.x Home Assistant release. It will get all the way to the Adding Device To Home Assistant part and then I get hte “Something went wrong” message.

I hope this can be resolved soon, especially given the Nabu Casa team are pretty proud of the fact some device vendors are using Home Assistant as a test platform.

I have 4 Wiz bulbs that I enrolled successfully with Matter a couple of weeks ago - and I notice now all 4 have stopped seemingly with a very similar error. Fortunately, I have not removed the Wiz integration yet so my automations were still working. I was testing the reliability of Matter for these before more widescale adoption. Seems my caution was justified.

Definately appear to be a 12.x issue - I tend to stay fairly bleeding edge. I’m on 2023.12.4 with the 5.0.1 Matter add-on.

I found this thread after experiencing the same problem. It was originally just a few matter devices that became unresponsive, so I added them again and they worked for a little while. Now all of my Wi-Fi connected Matter devices are unresponsive even after a restart. They are all Tapo Wi-Fi devices that support Matter. They all show up in the Tapo app just fine, but they all seem to have lost their Matter connectivity. I also have a couple Eve Thread Motion Blinds that are connected over Matter that have been a bit flaky, but overall work fine.

Having issues with all Matter devices just becoming unavailable. It seems like HA update in the last month has affected stability. I re-added every device. It worked for a week, and then open today and everything is offline again.

Same issue - updated homeassistant (docker image) from 2024.1.5 to 2024.1.6. I’m running the python-matter-server in docker as well.

I was able to fix the devices by going to the Matter (BETA) integration and changing the address back to the host’s IP. Apparently after the upgrade, the integration changed to the default setting of ws://localhost:5580/ws. By changing the integration to point to my docker host’s IP on port 5580 (ws://<my_host_ip>:5580/ws), my devices immediately came back online.

It’s worth noting that when I return to the integration after updating to point to IP, the default setting of ws://localhost:5580/ws is repopulated.

I guess this issue opened on the official github repo describes the problem and a possible solution

https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/109926