mDNS `.local` address unchanged

Hi I have a VM with Hass OS and my mDNS address is wrong and just won’t update after changing the hostname.

The mDNS system works without a server, so deleting entries is not really a thing.
If you change the name then a new record is being made and broadcast and the old one is just left to time out in the network.

Yea but this never changes. It doesn’t seem to go away nor do i see a new one being made. I can’t use the new hostname with .local to get to my UI. Only this address works.

Where do you see that print out in your picture?

Not sure i understand your question well. I will give more context.

I am going through Settings > System > Network > Host name and changing this to be homeassistant. In my router I am using the same hostname even though that has nothing to do with what mDNS advertises.

When I use the discover app on my Mac or even my iPhone i see this record.

If i try to use homeassistant.local:8123 it doesn’t work but if I use the b48*****aa0.local:8123 address it works to take me to the login.

My whole goal is to get homeassistant.local:8123 to work.

I already have my local domain working which is .lan so thankfully i can use homeassistant.lan:8123 and that will work but this is racking my brain on why it won’t change.

I have done full system reboots as well. I may try to shutdown the VM as well but can’t see why that would be any different.

You must have devices on your network that cache the mDNS list.
You can try to restart some of the devices, like router and iPhone and Mac, but if that fails then a complete shutdown of every network device before starting up again is the maybe the only way.

You would be right, but i have seen the record update on restarts as I have changed the internal_url a few times and it has propagated.

mDNS cache information, but not save it.
That is why you have to shutdown every network device and first when all are shutdown start them up again.
This will make sure there is no information cached on your network.