Media browser, Spotify, select output device?

Change the input in config.yaml into.

‘’’
input_select:
select_speaker:
‘’’

Then it will work!

Can you post the yams for radiostations and playlists as well?

Thanks

Never really used it, so removed it from my setup. So, sorry, don’t have it anymore…

Hello everyone, sorry for the late revival of this post.
But I need help setting up the media player. I integrated Spotify, SpotCast and configured everything correctly. I hope …: D

After I have ordered the cards and press “play” I get the following message.

“Error calling service media_player / media_play_pause. No active playback device found”

Does something else have to be configured?

I had the same issue, and it turned out to be quite simple to solve… the error message is quite misleading in my opinion.
What it basically tells you, is that the integration doesn’t know on which spotify-connected device (your phone, PC, HomeAssistan,…) to play your music.
You simply have to select “Source” from the drop-down menu according to the device you want to control from the card.

Note that if from Spotify itself you change the source to phone or so, you might have to select the source again.
Here there is a solution to this problem as well… I still have to figure out how it works though :smiley:

I hope this helps :+1:

Guys i have a question too!

How do you set up your phone as a media playback device?
To be more exact, if i set in the input.select an entry such as: MyPhone how does the script know that MyPhone is actually my mobile device?

Thanks

Im missing “Source” in my Spotify card.

5 Likes

Open the Spotify App on your PC or Smartphone and select the device you want to play from.
Sources option should then appear in your Spotify Card.

I have a question too. When I stop to play music over Spotify, the Media Player Card switches into idle mode after a while and the option to select sources dissappeares. I then can’t start to play music over home assistant and I have to start playback inside the Spotify Android/Windows App. Is there a way to prevent the idle mode from happening or any other workaround?
That would be really helpful, cause at the moment I am not able to automatically play music in the morning for example.

3 Likes

Did u fixed this problem? I have the same here. I cant play music via Automation until i start one track via spotify app on my mobile.

No, I fear it is a limitation of spotify applications. But I am not 100% sure.

thx for that. working great. i’ll add myself to the question.
should the entry “Spotify: Start Playback” fade out once playback started?
Also what would i have to do, to get a VolumeBar on the FrontPanel?

@others: did you guys manage to implement radiostations? or even better TuneIn ?

did you find a solution?

@Philou @PX80
Use the Conditional Card to make the entry “Spotify: Start Playback” disappear upon a certain condition.

On the original example, there is an entities card with 2 rows (“input_select” & “call script”). Split up the rows into 2 separate entities cards, and put the “call script” one in the conditional card. Set up a condition so it checks the state of the media_player entity.

1 Like

thx for the tip. may you help here as i wouldnt know how to make this work

type: vertical-stack
cards:
  - entity: media_player.spotify
    show_header_toggle: false
    type: media-control
  - type: entities
    entities:
      - entity: input_select.chromecast_audio
      - entity: script.spotify_start

Since type is already a vertical stack, where would i have to put the conditional card type?

@PX80
Sorry, I’ve looked over the original post and realized there is an easier way to do this right inside the Entities card, without using the Conditional card.

Look at the Conditional section on the documentation page for the Entities card

Your card configuration should look like this. As you can see, the second row will be displayed when the condition is satisfied – when Spotify is not playing.

type: vertical-stack
cards:
    type: media-control
  - type: entities
    entities:
      - entity: input_select.chromecast_audio
      - type: conditional
        conditions:
            state_not: playing
        row:
          entity: script.spotify_start

You can test it out to see what works for you, maybe you want it to be state: idle which means when Spotify status is paused or playing the row won’t be displayed.

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

I am a complete novice with regards to HA. I have only been playing around with it since last week, and so far its been a huge learning curve, with lots of youtube and reading. But the reality is, a load of what is discussed is above my level of comprehension, and i think a lot of the video’s assume a level of competency that i simply don’t have.

Having said all that i really have built quite a nice albeit simple dashboard for my house that includes over 50 devices and I’m really happy thus far. BUT i need help with spotify, i have the integration working, but i am battling with the online guides to help me “select a source”. I have seen the guides but they assume i know how to navigate through HA as well as they can. I have installed HACS, i think i have installed Spotcast, but i simply have no idea where to edit the code and test this. I would forever be in your debt if someone could lay these steps out for me as simple as you can so i can try follow them, this would also allow me to learn.

here was my solution

Damn spotify, making us jump through 300 hoops in order to get music playing in our homes. We need an alternative.

1 Like

If there are some problems with the Spotify Web player, why don’t you try to download Spotify music as a local music file? That would be much easier to play Spotify on speakers. You can use a third-party tool like AudBite Spotify Music Converter to easily remove the DRM protection and store Spotify music. Then you can simply connect your devices for playback.

Hi. How do you do that? I have the integration but i can’t see it in the media tab. Is there something missing?.