Media Player source_list alias

Hello!

I limited my TV’s source list so it only shows the sources I use the most.

But I want to personalize it even more. Is it possible to create aliases for the sources in the list. For example:

HDMI 1     -> Mediabox
HDMI 2/MHL -> Chromecast
HDMI 3     -> Apple TV
HDMI 4     -> Playstation 4

Thanks in advance!

I have to make the aliases on my tv itself, so i change the name in the option window on my TV. And in HA they show up as that name.

Using LG webOS for it

Thanks for you response. I didn’t came up in me to check if I could rename the source via my television. I think it’s only possible for my television to add a label and not to rename the source.

In this picture you see I did add a label for each input source. The names before it without a label where (HDMI 1, HDMI2…).

But the labels don’t show up within the source list.

So I guess it’s not possible? Or is there another way?

PS. my television I own is a Sony Bravia KDL-42W805A

The Label itselfs is the one you should change yes. Try rebooting your HA. after the reboot i got mine working

I did restart Home Assistant but the new names didn’t show up. :frowning:

Here is a picture with the television settings.

What else can I try?

Then i really don’t know to be honest.

You could work around with a input list which uses an automation to change to the corresponding source.

Thanks anyway for your time and tip. I am now studying the media player universal component. But already encounter 1 problem. Maybe you know?

Did you find a solution meanwhile?

1 Like

The source list can be customized from the UI using “Customizations”

or by editing customize.yaml.

https:/www.home-assistant.io/docs/configuration/customizing-devices/

But that wont map it to your current source list… That will just break all functionality.

Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone found a solution in the meantime to make aliases for the source_list.
I currently get ["DIGITAL 1","DIGITAL 2","RGB 1"] from my beamer, I can’t change the names in the beamer configuration. But it would be great if you could change it to something like [{"DIGITAL 1": "PS4" },{"DIGITAL 2": "Chromecast"},{"RGB 1"}] and the aliases would show up instead of the original names

1 Like

read the post linked twice…

Thanks for the hint. I tried to figure out from the thread on where to put the configuration, but I can’t derive that from the context. Is it part of the ‘media_player’ configuration? And do I need to configure the input-selects somewhere? Can you please provide a bit of an extended example?

It uses the universal media_player integration.

Thanks petro, read over that in the thread, and wasn’t aware of all the options of this integration. I’m going to try to implement it.

Okay, I’m having the same issue. I have an Nvidia shield and I want to rename the sources but customize doesn’t seem to allow for it. Has anyone figured out how to do this? It really should be as simple as saying this equals that or something simple, but of course, yaml does like anything I try haha.

1 Like