Media_player took longer than the scheduled update

I’m used to getting warnings at boot for some devices e.g.: xxx took longer than the scheduled update interval… however with HA 104.2 the onkyo media_player I’m seeing repetitive (1514 times !!) warnings often reoccurring

Updating onkyo media_player took longer than the scheduled update interval 0:00:10
10:26 AM helpers/entity_platform.py (WARNING) - message first occurred at January 19, 2020, 4:27 PM and shows up 1514 times

The code I’m using to set up the media player follows

- platform: onkyo
    host: 10.0.1.204
    name: Living Room AV Receiver (Pioneer VSX-933)
    sources:
      video2: 'CBL/SAT'
      dvd: 'BD/DVD'
      usb: 'USB'
      network: 'INTERNET'
      strm-box: 'STRMBOX'
  - platform: onkyo
    host: 10.0.1.205
    name: Lounge AV Receiver (Pioneer VSX-S520D)

I have the same amplifier and the same problem.

I finally tracked this down to the Onkyo HA component incorrectly trying to determine the presence of Zone 2 and Zone 3, which this amplifier does not have.

To do this, the component sends non-existent eISCP commands ZPW and PW3. Presumably, some amplifiers actually respond to these partial commands, and this makes the onkyo component believe these are supported. The idea is that non-supporting amplifiers will time-out.

However, the S520D also responds to these commands with ZPWN/A and PW3N/A. The onkyo component incorrectly determines support for zones 2 and 3 and will include them in the update scan. Every 10s, the scan will find there is no connection for these zones and tries to re-establish them, failing in about 5 seconds for each socket. The 2 together create so much delay that the HA media_player message is thrown. Also, all commands to the main channel get executed with this delay, making the onkyo component generally unusable.

The patch for zone detection was added approx. 2 years ago.

I think the fix is to use the ZPWQSTN and PW3QSTN commands instead. I did this and the zones 2 and 3 are now no longer detected. The amplifier response to commands is now instant.

Also I think an option should be added to request support for these zones. Not everyone has zones set up or needs them.

My Python skills are limited so I will see how to commit the change to HA.

2 Likes