Media players not shown in Homekit

That’s great!

I already found another problem lol

I can turn it off from Homekit (that’s ok) but if I turn it off from homekit or home assistant, I can’t turn it on… I can only turn it on with the tv remote . (this is ok, no problem!)

But when I turn it on with the remote, in the homekit the TV should turn the switch to ON right? because it stays off!

On the other side, in the home assistant it shows that the tv if on !

I hope you understand what I mean!

It seems from your picture like it is not seen in HA from the picture. It may be that it takes some time for HA to discover it again. The TV has to connect to the network again before it can be seen by HA. It takes my Samsung about a minute to do so.

The HA already discovered it ! I can turn it off from HA already!!
But in HomeKit it stays off (the switch), if I want to turn it off, I have to change the switch to ON and then turn it off !! (In this case it works)

The only problem is that in HomeKit I don’t know if the TV is on or off

anyone ??? ?

Also have problems with all media players (Kodi, Samsung, Onkyo, Panasonic) … do they have to enabled manually for HomeKit?

Regarding to default settings all components should be included

I have this problem too, it worked at first but stopped working after some time, reinstalling home assistant worked for me (I had to change OS, so I thought what the heck, let’s just reinstall instead of backing up the mess I made :stuck_out_tongue: It works for a while until it stops working. It seems as if homekit is unable to get the state change from certain tv’s. Home Assistant does give me the state change, however in Homekit the state still stays at ‘OFF’. The reason you can’t turn it on is probably because you have a tv that doesn’t support Wake-on-LAN or any other kind of waking method (meaning the network card is entirely shut down when you turn off your tv). This is at least the case with my tv (samsung 2012) and I work around with with HDMI-CEC and an Apple TV 4, whenever the ATV turns on it will automatically turn on my tv and so I set an automation that triggers the ATV to turn on (and thus turn on the TV at the same time). I have been using Homekit for almost a year now and I am currently shifting away from it. It takes a while but it is well worth it to have fixed automations in Home Assistant instead of Homekit. Why? Well, for some reason Homekit has many problems for me. For example, I had to reset my Homekit twice just because my home location was shifted away to the other side of the road (making all automations a sh*tshow). Apple doesn’t allow you to manually set the home location on an Apple TV and the only way to get a “new” location is to reset Homekit and all that is configured with it. I have over 50 devices and over 30 automations, trust me you’ll get mad if this happens to you (especially when it happens twice). Another thing is, everytime you restart Home Assistant, entities might have changed. Any change made to an existing entity will wipe the saved homekit state and will put in a new button (for example: the name you chose in Homekit will be reset, as the room it was in and any automation it was put in) it will also rearrange the Homekit homescreen at the same time.

I really love the interface of Homekit even though it gets cluttered up really fast. If you want decent voice assistance with Homekit you will have to make sure you have separate rooms for your devices which isn’t very intuitive because you might prefer to have all temperature sensors on one page and all light switches on the other (you could just name them and put them on one page, but then voice commands like: ‘Turn on the lights in the bathroom’ wouldn’t work. If you want to use Siri the better way would be rooms.

I use Homekit ONLY for voice commands so I can use Siri to turn on the lights etc. All other stuff I do with the Home Assistant app for iOS (including ALL automations). Trust me when I say get to know Home Assistant as you won’t regret it, it is better than Homekit in every way and much more configurable/customizable. Below some examples (and an example of my cluttered Homekit setup)

Hi i’m trying hard to have the media player (sonos) show up in homekit.

running hassio on pi.

i have this in a specific homekit yaml:

filter:
    include_domains:
      - media_player
      - light
      - switch
      - group
      - sensor
    exclude_entities:
      - light.kitchen_1
      - light.kitchen_2
      - light.kitchen_3
      - light.bedroom_1
      - light.bedroom_2
      - light.bedroom_3
      - light.bedroom_4
      - light.spisebord_1
      - light.spisebord_2
      - light.spot_billede
      - light.stue_vitrineskab
      - light.stue_skab_m_skuffer
      - light.stue_billede
      - light.Kitchen
      - light.Bedroom

entity_config:
    media_player.badevaerelse_stue:
      feature_list:
        - feature: on_off
        - feature: play_pause
        - feature: play_stop
        - feature: toggle_mute

The switches, group and lights that are not excluded are showing up nicely enough in homekit.

I have several mediaplayers i would like to add.

hopefully someone genius (or less) can help figure out what I’m doing wrong :slight_smile:

let me know if you need addtional information

Hi,

I am not sure if this helps but I have the following:

autostart: false

and an automation that starts HomeKit after one minute. It can be a problem that HomeKit starts before other entities are recognized in Home Assistant, i.e. HomeKit starts before Sonos. In that case Sonos will not be found by HomeKit.

I have played with this too and it seems that only 1 feature will be accepted. Try to remove all features but one (e.g. - feature: on_off) and try again. Pretty sure it will work. Unfortunately I believe it is not possible to add more features to one mediaplayer.

Yeah apprently only one feature is allowed. Thanks, will have to live with that :slight_smile:

This may sound stupid, but what benefit do you get from having media players in HomeKit? I have put them in there in the past but they seem useless to me as I have never really been able to do anything with them including AppleTv,…

The advantage is having everything in one place (mainly for the family). Easy to turn on music and TV. But I can agree that the use is limited.

1 Like

I have put them just for aesthetics but I rarely use them. I used to turn on my samsung tv with this as my samsung tv is a mediaplayer entity and I passed the on_off feature to Homekit. Too bad it can’t just be like the Apple TV 4 mediaplayer which can do on_off, play_pause and has a better looking icon. My ATV3 is passed through like this but tbh the button is pretty useless.

(I don’t really use homekit anymore after the switch to lovelace, so things might have changed since last time I checked. Though I doubt that this has changed)

1 Like

Finally, how did you achieve it?

Hello all,

I don’t see my lg tv in HomeKit app on iOS. Could you help? I will be grateful. That is my configuration of home assistant: http://prntscr.com/n2u33s and automation http://prntscr.com/n2u3bg . I see other devices such a lights or switches in HomeKit but not this particular media player.

Regards Rafał

Your entity_config section is incorrect:
Check the first sample at the Homekit page:

Also: I personally put Homekit config always in the end of configurations.yaml (even though I also don’t start it immediately)

Or create a separate homekit file (e.g. homekit.yaml) as my own homekit config is extremely large (cause of all the entities I do not want to include). If you would like a separate yaml file for this enter the following in configuration.yaml

homekit: !include homekit.yaml

And create that file homekit.yaml manually in your configuration folder (the same folder where configuration.yaml and ui-lovelace.yaml resides).

You could also do this for all other things like switches, automations etc. for example I have over 5000 lines in my automations page. It would have made my configuration.yaml unreadable. Also doing it this way makes backing up and/or switching to a new install a lot easier as troubleshooting can be done much faster.

1 Like

Just a quick question… Is it possible to select the input source of my Media-Player using HomeKit?
I’d like to make an HomeKit automation to change input to Net-Radio and play Station xyz. Ist that possible?

1 Like