Media Server - Play all songs in Playlists

Hi as suggested by Frenck as I raised this in issues section rather than feature request (apologies)…

Is it possible to play a playlist that automatically plays all the songs withinthe list. Currently it only allows the choice to select and play one song within the playlist?

URL

Version

@chishm wrote …

I would love to have playlists too, but it’s not easy to add support at the moment. HA media players don’t have a generic concept of play lists (other than enqueue next item and clear all items), so that would have to be added. Also the front end doesn’t have a way of showing the play list information. This will require some HA architecture discussion and in-depth planning to get implemented properly.

If your DLNA server can serve playlist files (.m3u or .pls) and your DLNA media player can play them, and the server doesn’t try to expand the contents of the play list (so that HA shows the items inside instead), then it might be possible to do it now without any changes. But you won’t be able to change or view the playlist contents from HA.

My response… My DLNA server is via Synology NAS which I suspect is .m3u file? Happy to set up the playlist from DS Audio on the NAS, if the option to just play the contents within the playlist from Home Assistant would be awesome as I could incorporate it in my automation and just tell Google to play a specific playlist (with shuffle option if possible :sunglasses: :nerd_face:) Hopefully, this is possible… keep up the GREAT WORK!!!

I’m also looking for a way to play playlists via HA on Alexa.

1 Like

Hello!

same here, when you play a song from your local media, i have a folder “music” for example, that plenty of folders of “artists”, and then inside “albums”, and then inside “songs”…you can only play one file and after music stop…

Like on all players, it will be great to play a file and then the next play automatically, and the next, and the next…should be a great feature…like “continuously” playing song…

Hope devellopers will read this post… :wink:

5 Likes

yep.
that would be a great addition. found this post cause i m looking for a solution too.

2 Likes

thats bad because nobody seems interested by this option…

no response from developper team’s

1 Like

Well, now we got “music assistant”… so… it all works out… :slight_smile:

HUGE shoutout for the dev team

2 Likes

Hi are you running songs locally as I’m trying to play songs off my NAS? There is no DLNA option I can find?

So far, as to my experience - that is correct.
only local music from the HA hard drive (as i do not use streaming, from Spotify nor others). but DLNA and SMB expansions are coming (as to the developer in the video discussing this issue), so there is much to look for…

I am with tennbaum. THANK YOU so much guys on the dev team, I had to do some weird coding to get this working for my waiting room

Awesome, I should have watched the entire video discussion!!! :+1:

Not sure if you found a solution yet, but here’s how to get the Synology NAS setup for DLNA. Until that is setup, HA won’t see the media files.

I have set up Music Assistant and it’s just running way 2 slow compared to the native media browser in Home Assistant.

Currently I can see all music from HA on my NAS, with the exception that DLNA is available in Media Browser natively without having to mount a drive. I can even see the contents and play songs within playlists set up on the NAS. It seems like most of the hard work is done and my request is simple where songs are played sequentially however having the option to shuffle, or repeat would be awesome.

Music Assistant is clunky for me and at times browsing folders result in spinning circle wait times? The major benefit I see within Music Assistant is that the music resumes if a message is broadcasted on a device, if that could be added to HA then I’d say there would be limited need for a custom option?

you found a solution?

I stopped using it

Well this is very disappointing. HA has the ability to connect to a DLNA server (in my case, Foobar2000) and to connect to a DLNA renderer (in my case, autocast). However, it does not provide a sensible way to play an album!

What was the point of all that DLNA work? Movies, I suppose.

Music Assistant does not appear to have the ability to connect to a DLNA server either.

I was hoping for a browser based solution to playing my music via DLNA . Any ideas?

Thanks!

B.