Media source: network shares, playlists, radio streams

I don’t know if this is already in the pipeline, but can the media source integration be expanded to allow adding:
Network shares (music on NAS etc)
Playlists
Internet radio streams

I’ve read a few threads with people trying to hack their way to success but this is functionality that should work natively

Don’t forget to vote for your own suggestion Dave.

1 Like

Does anyone know if this functionality is likely as some point? The media source integration kinda sucks when all your media must be saved on the HA server.

3 Likes

I’d go further to say, the media-player feature is all but useless without an easy manner to access a network share. It’s puzzling to me that the feature was worked on before the pre-requirements. :man_shrugging: I get that there’s an expert’s way to do it, but man can the team not simplify this process?

2 Likes

Any updates on this? It would be very handy to have your network share files everywhere with home assistant…

1 Like

I would even be ok with adding a DLNA-library :smiley:
Some kind of access to external media storage is definitely needed.

3 Likes

Agreed, but for …

Docker Only

For my fellow peeps using Docker, you can get this functionality using the docker-engine inbuilt type: nfs mount using a Windows share or Samba:

volumes:
  nas-multimedia:
    driver_opts:
      type: nfs
      o: 'addr=192.168.XX.XX,nolock,soft,rw'
      device: ':/multimedia'

# Then the regular HA definition
services:
  home-assistant:
    # blah blah
    volumes:
      - nas-multimedia:/media

Note: I’ve enabled anonymous/guest RO access to my media, but it should be trivial to add in creds above.

1 Like

But shouldn’t HomeAssistant, with its media browser and DLNA renderer integration, be able to get to a DLNA server without having to enable an NFS or Samba share?

I’ve hacked my way through a basic in-browser DLNA browser in the past, but certainly lack the programming skill to contribute this sort of feature to HA. Though I’m tempted to spend a lot of time and frustration trying, is there a way I can raise the likelihood of someone for whom this is easy-peasy tackling this? Is there the ability to put bounties on desired integrations? :thinking:

2 Likes