Memory leak Home Assistant (2022)?

@millerstevew
Have the exact same issue!
Opened issue at:

https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/issues/2999#issue-2048155284

You are the only relevant result I found to my problem! Thanks.

I came to the same realization that your linked thread discusses. Creating a backup in Home Assistant will “fill up” your memory with a bunch of stuff that’s essentially cached in case it’s needed later. The HA VM will delete this cached stuff if needed, so it’s not like you’ve “run out” or memory. (This is what the graphs in Proxmox had me thinking. I was having some system stability issues, saw those graphs, and erroneously concluded that my issues was running out memory.)

I too find this unhelpful. I understand the technical side of things. Memory that’s not being used is wasted. Why not put something there, even if it’s a cache, since it will be easier to access than stuff on disk. But when you’re having stability issues with a VM that can’t tell the difference between cached stuff and important stuff, it may lead you (like it led me) to think that the issue is memory when that isn’t the case.

Perhaps the most helpful solution would be for Proxmox to have the ability to distinguish memory that’s just stuff in cache from stuff that’s really important.

*Note: I’m by no means technical, so I’m aware that there’s a technical name for “stuff in cache” that escaping me at the moment :wink:.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

I also have a significant memory leak.
I dont really have the will to disable all my integrations and wait a week, just to discover its HA itself (as several in this thread have already done), I just hope it gets looked at rather than dismissed.
[VM installation in ProxMox, running latest version]

1 Like