Merkury Light Bulb

I, too, was able to flash tasmota onto a white Merkury bulb. I can turn on and off and dim from the web interface, but have only been able to turn on and off from home assistant. I’m guessing I just have the mqtt topics for brightness wrong, but I’m very new at home assistant. Do you have any suggestions? Here’s what I have:

light:
  - platform: mqtt
    name: "Living Room Floor Lamp"
    icon: mdi:floor-lamp
    command_topic: "cmnd/MerkuryLRLamp/power"
    state_topic: "stat/MerkuryLRLamp/POWER"
    brightness_state_topic: "stat/MerkuryLRLamp/Dimmer"
    brightness_command_topic: "cmnd/MerkuryLRLamp/Dimmer"
    qos: 1
    payload_on: "ON"
    payload_off: "OFF"

I would go to the tasmota console and type in “SetOption19 1” and in your configuration.yaml under your mqtt broker info put in discovery: true and the. HA will see it and configure it automatically. It will show up in your integrations and just delete the light config you have above

Apparently someone knows has reverse engineered these bulbs to work with Tasmota.
https://blakadder.github.io/templates/merkurya21.html
I’ll try to use that to reverse engineer into ESPHome.
Unless I’m blind, the “base” used (69) isn’t in the documentation:

Just for clarification, I’m talking about the color (75W) bulb, not the white (60W) bulb.

I tried this and it didn’t work.
Then I read up on MQTT Discovery and it doesn’t seem as simple as you explained it. Mind you I was about 20 mins out from bed so that could have played into my understanding of the process. But I read about having to issue a number of MQTT commands while discovery was on.

I did some testing last night.
I hadn’t noticed that I had no dimming capabilities in HA until you mentioned it.

I tested the bulb in the bulbs web interface and I was able to fully dim the bulb.
I checked the console and noticed that after I changed the brightness level with the web interface there would be a Result line with the dimmer details.

I noticed that Dimmer in the result line was spelt with a Capital D, I was using a lowercase d in my cmnd/bulb/dimmer line.

I change it to cmnd/bulb/Dimmer and I got some control. sort of a 2 settings brightness control. Bright and dim. The slider positioning was inconsistent with the dimmest setting being closer to the bright end of the slider.

For my Sonoff B1 bulb the brightness command topic is: “cmnd/sonoffB1/dimmer”

I’m going to try some more testing. I wonder if it’s because I used the Generic Tasmota Template?

I think that I got it to work after adding brightness_scale: 100

Just added that to my entries and I’ll give it a test tonight

Hmm… well I did cover it quickly as I was at work… maybe I didn’t explain it very clearly. In the configuration.yaml file under where your you put in your mqtt broker info you add a line discovery: true to turn on discovery of mqtt devices. Then in tasmota you go to the console page and type in SetOption19 1. That makes tasmota set the topics to be discoverable to home assistant. Might also want to check the tasmota version you are running, I’m not sure when this feature was added I just updated the firmware as soon as I got tasmota installed but seems to me it didn’t work in the version I first flashed onto the light so I you didn’t do anything update maybe that’s why it’s not working

Also you go to the configuration section in home assistant and then to integrations to see the mqtt devices it finds.

Here is the config I came up with:

It’s two lights because the LED driver is part of FastLED and not a general output

1 Like

Yeah I put in a feature request at ESPHome to have an output component for SM16716 like they have for MY9X91.
https://github.com/esphome/feature-requests/issues/83

1 Like

Thanks for the further info.
I was able to get the bulb working perfectly by adding brightness_scale: 100 as suggested by @lustreking.
However I will remember your suggestion for future Tasmota devices I add.

Has anyone been able to get the Merkury A21 BW904 working with Tasmota-Basic?
Other than white light.

Did you try using the template?

Have tried loading the following Tasmota bins (1K) to the BK904.

sonoff-basic.bin

sonoff-classic.bin

sonoff.bin

None have Templates in Configuration

Would love to try templates. I know there is one for this bulb but stuck.

What am I missing.

Thanks

Templates are not (yet) supported in the production release. You have to use a development release, I’ve been running both the RGBW and the White only bulbs using 6.4.1.19 without issue for a few days.

One of the original questions was, what are the serial connections for this bulb? Clearly tuya-convert is the best option, but if you get a bad flash like I did on one, serial can usually recover it. I couldn’t find this info online and had to figure it out. This is for the white only version (BW-902), the RGBW (BW-904) uses a different board. Maybe this will help someone else.

1 Like

Check digiblurDIY’s post from a night or two ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYdczUfM4Eg.

My Merkury A21 light works in white and rgb with Home Assistant after flashing with Tuya-Convert. What was interesting after flashing is it was strobing between bright white and warm white. So I bet there is a bright white mode that can be “unlocked”.

Get them and flash them while you can. I bet Tuya patches these soon.

SinisterNerd

HI Zeric,
I used Tuya-convert for two BW-904 color bulbs but on a reflash (trying to get Templates) I bricked one. Have disassembled it and want to do what you did above. I posted the pics at
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/support-for-the-merkury-light-bulb/53456/46 with all the info I have now. Need to get bed.
No much luck yet on finding Tx and RX but wonder what you used to get it into program mode?
Thanks

better support for this LED chipset landed in ESPHome 1.14. Updated my gist. BEWARE that brightness in Home Assistant controls the RGBs and White Value controls the White brightness… if you have both values at 100% both sets of LEDS will run and overheat chip causing random restarts within 10min.

I’ve copied this over and have the bulb successfully turning on/off but color won’t change at all. Any tips?