Mesh WiFi or not?

On some mesh systems the RF backhaul channel is on a different frequency to the WIFi usage so you don’t impact bandwidth through contention. However wired is always better where possible.

I have setup a TON of WiFi routers over the years, for friends, family, and I haven’t been able to go 2 years without feeling the need to upgrade my network for one reason or another.

Before I turned off my Orbi network I plugged my previous Netgear WiFi Router via Ethernet.

1. I turned WiFi OFF, and configured it to run as a DHCP server.
  2. I installed the Unifi Controller software on the old laptop I use as my Home Assistant server. (I run both Home Assistant and the Unifi Controller under Docker, but the software should run just fine on docker on a Raspberry Pi as well).
  3. I put the old router in place of my Orbi, and plugged my Unifi Wireless Access point into my cable modem.

I forget how I actually set up the Unifi Access Point, but it wasn’t very complicated. I want to say I used the Unifi iPhone app to discover it and initiate setup… but I don’t remember for sure. The point the entire process wasn’t much different that setting up a normal WiFi Router combo unit. You just have to remember that the round Unifi unit is “dumb”, in that it simply provides WiFi connections. In my case I use an old WiFi router in place of a wired only router.

Ubiquiti also offers complimentary devices such as:

• Cloud Key which offers a dedicated server for the controller software. But we don’t need that as we can run the software as needed on any computer.
  • EdgeMax X Routers which is a decided router. But, we don’t need that because we can use an old WiFi router (with WiFi turned off) in its place.

In the end I started with one Unifi AC Pro wireless access point, and the whole family has been really happy with the reliability so far, and I plan to add a second AC Pro soon to better cover the house now that I am happy with it. There are some advanced features of the Controller software that I miss out on by not using one of the Ubiquiti routers, but you can decide later if those features are necessary for your needs or not.

On a side note, the head developer of Home Assistant was recently hired by Ubiquiti. So that makes me feel confident that Home Assistant will continue to be well supported by my Unifi hardware.

1 Like

I used to have an Orbi system with the main and 3 routers. I would happily sell it to anyone for cheap as I found it not to perform very well for my situation.

I migrated to Unifi and works well; but certainly more involved versus Orbi’s set it and forget it approach.

With Unifi you need to manage channels, power levels, etc, to get the best performance. This isn’t hard to do but certainly not a plug and play install. Even things like the power level where “auto” in the GUI means “high” and things like this add to the confusion.

So it comes down to what your technical level is and willingness to tweak to get the best performance.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

As I posted above, I’m in the US and I have a three unit Velop system which I purchased and installed about three months ago. I have one unit connected directly to my cable modem and a 10-port gigabit switch. I use this unit as the router (i.e., I’ve disabled the router function in the cable modem/gateway.) The second unit connects via an Ethernet cable to the switch, and the third unit connects via a pair of TP-Link Powerline Adapters (TL-PA7010 KIT), also to the switch.

The system was pretty easy to install and has been rock solid. I’ve found that I get as much Internet bandwidth over WiFi as I do via hardwired Ethernet. That is to say I have not found any degradation of performance due to the Velop system.

I’m not saying that the Velop is necessarily the best choice for everyone. But it has worked well for me so I disagree with the unconditional “avoid Velop” sentiment.

1 Like

I’m happy you’re happy.

But I stand by my advice, and suggest that any potential purchaser spends a little time looking back on the Linksys Velop customer forum before purchasing.

I have just ordered some Ubiquiti Unifi’s to replace my Velops. Can’t wait to be rid of them. :slight_smile:

PS One distinct advantage of the Unifis over the Velops for users here - the former are Home Assistant-friendly for presence detection.

looks like someone made a hass.io addon already

Not a Hass.io guy as I run my own docker stack on my media server. Only see the threads titles of the add-ons every once in a while.

I can confirm that, the detection is fast and the amount of info reported is quit extensive:

I have spent the last day or so installing a Unifi gateway plus some access points.

Wow, what a difference! The degree of control and information availability is just fantastic. Not really a consumer product, but easily accessible for people likely to be on this forum.

24 hours in - highly recommend

1 Like

I bought the Orbi system a few weeks ago to replace a 3 router setup I had. I must admit I am very impressed with it. I do like to tinker, but this just works. I have a cat5e backhaul as that was already in place from my old set up

Interesting; do they now support the ethernet backhaul? They never did this when I owned the system and it was silly they didn’t…

I’m using 3 Google OnHub’s the main unit is connected via Ethernet to one of the 2ed units and the 3rd is completely over mesh and the speeds are great. Originally was going to get the Google WiFi 3 Pack but was able to get 3 OhHub’s for 100$ less on Newegg.ca . Not for anyone looking at Google WiFi take a look at the OnHub’s if your able to get your hands on them I would recommend as OnHub: 1.9 Gbps (N600 + AC1300) VS Google Wifi:1.2 Gbps (N300 + AC867)

Seems that they do since December 2017

yep, I wouldn’t bought them if they didn’t.

Does anyone know what the difference is between these Ubiquiti APs? The second one is stated as being a newer version but I’m not convinced?

UBIQUITI NETWORKS UBI-UAP-AC-PRO 24/5Ghz 450/1300Mbps 122m - (Enterprise Computing > Routers) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016XYQ3WK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0.RfBbT9QCZNC

Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO-E UniFi AP AC PRO-e - (Enterprise Computing > Wireless Networking) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079DSTX99/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5dSfBbQTVKN7S

Would appreciate it if someone could help me identify the two

Thanks

The -e version does not include a PoE injector - so no means of powering the AP unless you already have a PoE switch.

The AP hardware is the same. Amazon is wrong about the -e being newer.

1 Like

I’d also point out that ubiquiti has really good forums. People there are super helpful if you need info or advice.

1 Like

I’ve had good experience of https://store.openmesh.com/products/access-points.html

Starting at $75/ access point. The web dashboard is really nice.

I guess all mesh WiFi will be similar. I am enjoying very much Google WiFi, works like a charm and to be able to control children WiFi devices schedules so easily is so convenient!!

Interesting that nobody mentioned Tp-Link Deco (m5 or m9).