Messed up HA by installing SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus E and "Silicon Labs Multiprotocol"?

Hello together!

First of all - i am quite new to Home Assistant. I set up a basic system, included some zigbee devices (untill few days back only with HUE bridge), some Thread devices (via Apple Thread Border Router) and some Matter devices (via beta Addon). It all worked fine so far (beside of Matter), but very nice!

Few days back i bought a SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus E - already flashed with MultiPAN RCP firmware (SONOFF_Zigbee_3.0_USB_Dongle_Plus_V2_20221202153942-if00). I installed “Silicon Labs Multiprotocol” addon and configured it like adviced in several videos to that topic in the web. It also started - at first. But from the beginning it was not running properly, always logging:

Info : Connecting to secondary... 
Info : Failed to connect, secondary seems unresponsive

I wondered about that, but because the addon started, i honestly was too impatient and started configuration of the zigbee integration - but NOT with the silicon adapter selected, but the default one. After i realized my mistake, i removed the zigbee integration and tried to reinstall with silicon adapter. That failed with “Test of the stick failed”. I removed ZHA integration completely and installed Mosquito broker. That addon also started fine at first and was working properly.
But because i could not get the silicon addon to work and things seem to be messed up at the point, i restored my previously taken backup. Here my pain begins…

HA is still working properly (devices, automation, aso.), but i am no longer able to get any relevant addon to start - nor silicon addon or mqtt. Silicon addon still throws “secondary seems unresponsive” and mqtt:

2023-10-13 11:35:18: New connection from 127.0.0.1:50024 on port 1883.
2023-10-13 11:35:18: Client <unknown> disconnected due to protocol error.
[11:35:19] INFO: Successfully send discovery information to Home Assistant.
[11:35:20] INFO: Successfully send service information to the Supervisor.

For i had some zigbee devices i needed to connect (to verify they are working) i (again) configured ZHA with the default adapter. That works totally fine so far. I was able to add all my zigbee devices and they are working properly.

Now to my questions…
1.) I read that the dongle might also store some configuration on it - is it? Could it be, that some malicious config is stored on the dongle which blocks me now?
2.) Or did i mess up my system by restoring my backup? I also read that the supervisor is not restored. So - could there be any misconfiguration in the supervisor now? Since backup restore my bluetooth adapter is also not working anymore. I managed to somehow reconfigure it, but it seems not to work.

WARNING (MainThread) [bluetooth_auto_recovery.recover] Could not cycle the Bluetooth adapter hci0 [D8:3A:DD:32:41:24]: [Errno 110] Operation timed out

Thoughts to solve the issue(s):
1.) would it help if i install a new HA instance and restore my backup then? (i have several backups :slight_smile: ) Or can this somehow be fixed without setting up new HA?
2.) Are there any “purge” or “repair” functions on the (maybe messed up?) supervisor?
3.) would a reflash of the stick purge the maybe stored settings and make it “clean” again? Or is maybe the flashed firmware outdated / too old and i need to flash a newer version?

My prio 1 intention is:
Getting a “clean” HA instance back with being able to install and run addons like mqtt aso. Setting up a zigbee network - because these are the majority of my devices (i attached the few thread devices i have by now via Apple Thread border router). I would also flash the “normal” firmware to the stick if that is of any advantage.

My prio 2 intention is:
Getting the silicon addon up and running with zigbee and thread network running in parallel (as for this i bought the stick). Basically i would like to get rid of all the Apple and HUE bridges / routers and manage everything in HA, bridging the devices to Apple HomeKit…

Lots of questions, sorry for summing everything up here, but i am totally stuck somehow and do not want to make any experiments without advice. Any comment or hint would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Hello,
I have the same message with ZB-GW04-E usb key (chip: EFR32MG21A020F768IM32), it’s a clone of SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus E.

Firmware : Multipan RCP 4.3.1 for ZB-GW04 (v1.2)
Addon : Silicon Labs Multiprotocol 2.3.2
HA : version 2023-11.1
HAOS : 9.0
Running on Lenovo M93 mini + Proxmox VE 8.0.4.

The configuration works well with zigbee ZHA + zigbeetomqtt. I have flashed the USB Stick to use Zigbee et Thread / Matter, and installed “Silicon Labs Multiprotocol” addon, I followed also some videos.
I have the same message :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

info : ENCRYPTION IS DISABLED
Info : Starting daemon in normal mode
Info : Connecting to secondary…
Info : Failed to connect, secondary seems unresponsive

Can you help us ?

@EddyMercier i read in one of the last update notes, that the RCP Firmware is not reliable at all and Thread via internal Border Router is currently only working (more or less i guess) with HA yellow or the SkyConnect dongle in Thread only mode.
I am currently using the Sonoff only as zigbee hub with ZHA integration, sticked to Apple HomePod as Thread Border Router (which is sadly also very buggy) and wait for better times.

Hello to all… I received my Sonoff Zigbee Dongle plus E, and flashed it according this

and installed the Silicon Labs Multiprotocol add-on with these settings (Zigbee only)… And

and get similar errors in the log…
“Failed to connect, secondary seems unresponsive”
Any clue on what i should do?
@EddyMercier , you said you succeeded to have it working ok with Z2mqtt on zigbee only? How did you get rid of these errors?
@w1o , any news on your side?
I already have ZHA with the skyconnect dongle, and want to have in parallel Z2MQTT with this sonoff one…
Thanks

@Kri72 According to HA Thread and Matter integration posts, that one is still in experimental state.
For i have a lot of devices in the meantime, i decided to have dedicated dongles for each protocoll with dedicated channels. (Zigbee only on Sonoff, Thread only on other Sonoff or Sky Connect). I guess that is the most reliable solution for now.