Mi Flora is visible only within 30 cm from BT dongle

I’ve tried setting up the mi flora and it looks like the mi flora data is received only if it’s up to 30 cm from the BT dongle.

If I move it further away, I no longer see the mi flora on my BT lescan (hcitool).
I noticed the mi flora app requires this proximity when it looks for the mi flora but later on it works from a longer distance, should I pair the mi flora device to my BT dongle/system somehow?

When I try to use gatttool to connect, it connects and disconnects after a few seconds (sensor is still very close to the BT dongle)

[mac][LE]> connect
Attempting to connect to <mac>
Connection successful
Notification handle = 0x0021 value: 00
[mac][LE]>
(gatttool:19875): GLib-WARNING **: Invalid file descriptor.

I’m running Ubuntu 16.04 with BT le dongle.
HomeAssistant 0.83.1 in docker

Have you tried another battery?

Thanks for replying…
Yes, the battery is 99% (according to the sensor report)
It also works pretty well from my phone app

If you don’t mind getting a Raspberry Pi Zero, here’s how I use them to read all my Mi Flora sensors.

I’ve mine 10+ metres away, but still no problem. I do have the RPi 0 up on the top of a cabinet, think that helps a surprising amount too.

1 Like

OK. I took your last line seriously and I’ve connected a usb extender so the dongle will be outside the cabinet (I’m using intel nuc for my HA). And surprise surprise it sees the sensor!
It’s truly the cabinet door that blocks the BT signal!
I’m not sure if I should be happy for the solution or sad for the poor protocol blocked that easily.