Midea branded AC’s with ESPhome (no cloud)

I understand the what happens with the setpoint above or below depending on mode heat or cool.

What im getting at is shouldnt there be 2 setpoints in a “heat_cool” mode? One for heat and one for cool. Or else it would just be flapping all day long to heat for a few mins to then cool for a few mins. Essentially undoing all the work it just did to heat when it kicks on cool a few mins later. There needs to be a dead band or whatever you want to call it in between so its not flipping from one mode to the other all day.

Let’s say the setpoint is 20 degs,

So when room temp is 24 degs, it will start to cool. At 20 degs the unit switches off and temperature starts to rise again.

Now opposite, when room temp is 16 degs, unit will start to heat until it reaches 20 degs and then switch off, after witch temperature will drop again…

So there is either a small hysteris or it could also just be a simple time delay :wink:

Hi all!

I have tried to find the information in this thread here, but its a looong one and either my patience and my google-fu have forsaken me, or it’s simply not here… please correct me if I am wrong!!

Basically, I have a Bryant branded, ducted mini-split system (40MBDQ) with wired thermostats/controllers (KSACN0701AAA) and a KSAIF-03 WiFi interface kit (this kit is wired in-line with the wired controller). I have the midea AC LAN integration working in HA.

So far, so good, although I’d like to get off the cloud (issue 1), if possible. Issue 2 is due to the fact that the condensers and WiFi units are mounted in the attic and the HA card as well as the various “SmartHome” phone apps that are compatible with this system are reporting the attic temperature as the indoor temperature. The system works fine, because the wired controllers are manually configured to use “follow-me” mode, which means that the temperature measured in the controller is used as the room temperature.

Soo… are any of the various dongles discussed here going to be of any help? I would love to install one inside of the wired controller. If the controller’s temperature measurements aren’t available through the various protocols, I could simply add a second physical sensor to the setup.

From what I have read here, getting off the cloud is probably trivial (again, please correct me if I am wrong), but what about my second issue?

1 Like

Does it look like this?

( this is what turned up when i googled KSAIF-03)
If so, i believe you can replace it with an ESPHome module.
And the ESPHome also supports follow-me, so why not just try?
The ESPHome module can be really cheap, mine was just around €5,- (not using the follow-me option though, guess that will be a few bucks more)

On a MIDEA heat pump, I can change all the available control registers but not the operation mode.

Is there any chance that some control registers are locked and can change only via the remote controller?

G’day guys, on a Midea Heatpump i got the following terminals for Modbus (To Computer communication bus) P,Q,E and X1 and X2.

has anybody had any luck getting data from it?

On this page I describe the modbus connections GitHub - Mosibi/Midea-heat-pump-ESPHome

2 Likes

sorry, I’ve missed the reply and didn’t deal with it for quite some time. Nothing special on the back of the board. see attached.

I’m also attaching the schematics of the AC (notice the optional wire controller that can be connected to the display) and close up of the UART 5 pin header.

If needed I can try to measure the 5 headers with multimeter or something. Let me know what else I should check.
Thanks

Has anyone wired in a IR Transmitter to their SLWF-01 Pro?

I installed the Slfw-01 pro and I can now control using HA. The only thing is the current temp showing is actually 10 degrees higher than what it actually is. Did I do something wrong during install? Everything seems to be working as expected (except the current temp). TIA

@patatesboy what exactly do you mean by bypassing here? Are you referring to bypassing the USB? Did you just solder directly to the tx/rx on that board?

I have an identical setup (4th gen mrcool) to you and am getting the same tx only logs using esp-01 as suggested.

Using a smartlight.me device with a Midea compatible Senville SENA/12HF - works fine but with this yaml:

outdoor_temperature: # Optional. Create outdoor unit temperature sensor (may display incorrect values after long inactivity).
name: “Temp”
power_usage: # Optional. Create power usage sensor (only for devices that support this feature).
name: “Power”
humidity_setpoint: # Optional. Create indoor humidity sensor.
name: “Humidity”
…only outdoor temperature is returned. Remote Inquiry function show LOTS of data including power and humidity but it does not get into esphome/HA
Can this be fixed???

Please use proper yaml formatting…
As it says,only for devices that support this feature

humidity_setpoint:          # Optional. Indoor humidity sensor (only for devices that support this feature).
    power_usage:                # Optional. Power usage sensor (only for devices that support this feature).

Please elaborate remote inquiry…how ?

There is an Inquiry function available from the remote - press and hold fan+power for 8 seconds and it will activate a new menu. You scroll through numbers from 1 to 30 (I think). Data is displayed on the inside unit screen. So 1 - T1,(Inside temp) 2 - T2 (inside coil temp) and so on. Power and humidity are available. I am trying to get access to the coil temperatures really but would be interested in the others. Interestingly, it does output T4 - outdoor temperature - when running.
See: https://cematraining.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/SG-RG10-01.pdf

I am attempting to get some of parameters that appear to be available in my Senville SENA/12HF. My esphome logged data is below: (I do apologize about formatting but this is my first post!)

Getting and sending a request from the queue…
10:03:16 [D] [ApplianceBase:162] TX: AA 21 AC 8D 00 00 00 00 03 03 41 81 00 FF 03 FF 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 B6 D8 4A

10:03:16 [D] [ApplianceBase:063] RX: AA 28 AC 00 00 00 00 00 03 03 C0 00 87 3C 7F 7F 00 00 00 00 00 60 FF 0B 00 51 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 B6 10 24

10:03:16 [D] [AirConditioner:205] New status data received. Parsing…

I am assuming the data will be returned in the Rx stream but as seen there are lots of zeros. I do not know how to - or if ti is even possible - to request other data.

Leaving this for anyone (and probably myself) who may need it.
Was able to get it working by soldering directly onto the wifi module in the head unit (mrcool diy 9k 4th gen). This fixed my issue with only seeing TX and not RX. It may have just been a connection issue in the usb connector, but I didn’t want to try and trim the usb with a soldering iron or dremel to get it to connect right.

Edit: Turns out my initial issue was the lack of contact inside the USB connector. I tested out modifying a usb breakout board and got it to work; it’s not pretty but it works. It’s a bit more work, but worth it if you don’t want to modify the wifi board in the head unit.

So I just got a Slfw-01 pro and got it working.

Is the only way to enable “follow me” to provide a temperature to use an IR transmitter?

What is that about soldering a wire from the dongle to the board?

Follow me can only be enabled through IR signal.

This can either be by a real IR signal (using an IR transmitter) or soldered directly on to the IR receiver (using a wire).

1 Like

thanks.
Where can I find info on soldering it directly to the IR receiver?

Worked for me with ESP32-Wroom-32 board on EAS Electric AC Split, but I have problem with IR and Remote.

I solder a wire to TSOP and plug it in GPIO13 (or 14, testes with some of them), I introduce “Remote_transmitter” into Yaml and I can’t get the Display Toggle to work, neither the remote controller works. If I unplug the wire, the controller starts working.

I read all the thread, I know there are several people with this problem, but I can0t find a way to solve it :frowning: