Migrate from Aeotec Z-Stick (Gen5) to Zwave.me Z-Station

I am happy to share with you how I successfully migrated my Z-Wave gateway without having to exclude/include all existing devices again:

1. Did a NVM Backup and stored it on my local disk using Z-Wave JS UI.
  2. Disabled the Z-Wave JS Integration (Settings => Devices and Services => click on the 3 vertical dots and select ‘disable’.
  3. Unplugged the Aeotec stick and plugged the Z-Station.
  4. Changed the serial port for Z-Wave in Z-Wave JS UI to /dev/ttyUSB0.
  5. Restored the NVM from the file saved in step 1 - this took a while.
  6. All devices appeared again in Z-Wave JS UI.
  7. Enabled the Z-Wave JS Integration again.

I hope this will help you in a similar situation.

3 Likes

Additionally, you may consider finding the actual by-id address for the new port (instead of the virtual port ttyUSB0) - you should be able to find it in settings > system > hardware > all hardware.

The virtual ports can technically change if you inplug/replug a device or switch ports so connecting by-id instead allows ZWave JS to locate the device no matter what port you plug into, surviving any virtual port changes.

1 Like

That is great news !

I assume you didn’t have to migrate Zigbee devices ? I’m wondering how that would work…

This referred to ZWave not zigbee. There are methods for Zigbee but they aren’t a direct translation. You can search on the forum for stick migration methods or start a new thread if you don’t find what you are looking for.

I know… and as you might probably know, Z-station houses both Z-Wave & Zigbee. (and Bluetooth, Matter & Thread). So if this person has both Zigbee and Z-wave devices, it would make sense to me he would like to migrate both. So the question is definitely related in my opinion, but just not in the way you saw this personally. Don’t get smart, be gentle.

No we don’t. And why I said so… (also I really despise compound devices personally - you’re just asking for maintenance difficulties IMHO)

And respectfully, it needs another thread this moved an Aeotec ZWave stick to the device. Moving zigbee will be an entirely different process if it’s possible (I don’t know what zigbee chip the device uses. And thats how you tell.) there are zigbee migration steps in the forum you need to start by searching on zigbee migration and the model number of your EXISTING stick.

What is your experience with Z-Wave reception/transmission quality ? Do you see improvements ?

1 Like

@NickDE how about signal? You observed improvements?
The new z-station is advertised to have a great range!