Migrate from HassIO to HassOS - how to copy wifi settings?

You should tell in beginning.
If you are using wired connection, you do not need wifi UR right.
It is better to let your router assign IP and reserve it on router setting for RPi afterwards.

Ok,

I set a static IP in my router. What I really need is a custom DNS Adresse in the ipv4 settings.

I want to use Pihole via the Hassio Addon and set the DNS Address to the DHCP on my router. If I dont have a different static DNS (google 8.8.8.8), the homeassistant pi received its own IP via DHCP. And thats not working.:upside_down_face:

It is absolutely necessary that I can change the IP settings. And its not working and I dont know why. Maybe its because of the UUID. I will try this if Iā€™m back from work. :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot mate

Custom DNS address is w/o problem.
I have set up DNS equal to my router IP and it works, second DNS is custom as well.

@kajmaj is there any method to auto switch between WiFi and Ethernet ?

@ashfaaaa It is possible to switch manually - import setting from USB.
If I remember well from my migration to HassOS, if you have ethernet and wifi settings (in two files) saved on USB it is possibe to select (via import) ethernet or wifi.
At that time I saw two IPs (wifi and ethernet) of my RPi where I run HomeAssistant.
Theoretically if you are running wifi having ā€œwireā€ connected it could jump to ethernet while wifi disconnected.
But I am assuming that 2 different IPs if you have assigned static IP for your device running HA ( wifi and ethernet cards have different MAC address) could cause problem.
You should try it.

Even if i assign a static ip on pi will that be a problem.? And what is ideal for home assistant Ethernet or Wifi?. newly switched from home assistant on windows to RPI still struggling to install HassOs with wifi and static ip config file in a usbā€¦

I run HA on RPi connected by wifi, tested ethernet as well. From the ideal mean of connection I do not see any difference between wifi and ethernet.
I could not make static IP assigned through config USB working, but assigning through router setting works well.

@kajmaj my router doesnā€™t support ip reservation. trying since last night iā€™m unable to connect to wifi and static ipā€¦ i believe it should work Post install tried connecting to usb to different port. re booting usb connected multiple times but no success. any way i can set it from sd card?

I would suggest:
Do full install with LAN cable connected. Follow guidance here for network setting and here for full installation
Once you have it working and want to switch to wifi => Create config USB and create file there, you can use this one just enter your wifi credentials.
Plug USB, go to Hass.io - System - Import from USB - Select ā€œwifiā€ file - import
verify if you have 2 RPi IPs (2 MAC Addresses) - everything works well (one is ethernet, one is wifi)
Connect to the wifi IP - if it connects, you are there
Unplug USB.

3 Likes

kajmaj as you said i installed with lan cable connectedā€¦and formatted usb with FAT32 named it as CONFIG created folder named network created file name my-network. (without extension) with all the settingā€¦ when i click on import from USB the button turns green then nothing is shown i mean they is no option to Select Wifi file.

Finally it worked. Thanks a ton.

I compared my-network file with your and i found out that ā€œuuid=ā€ was missing i added it pluged to pi booted with in few seconds it connected to wifi with static ipā€¦ and you were right it assigned different ip for wifi and Ethernetā€¦wifi gets the static ip which i have mentioned in config fileā€¦

IĀ“m glad that it helped :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just wanted to thank you for the instructions that actually work. I was about to give up on this.

I gave up on trying to install it from USB SSD drive, but thanks to this tip I finally get my hass.io installed on SD card. Thank you.