Migrate from Hyper-V to Synology NAS

There are many related topics, but none that covers my exact question. I’m currently running Home Assistant (latest) in a Hyper-V VM on Windows 11 on my Home Office PC. Since I anyway also meanwhile run a Synology DS218+ NAS, I want to save some power and not have that Windows PC run all night+day. What is the best option for a migration to the NAS? Is there an easy to path, migrating/moving all the Docker artifacts and just powering up (have to admin I’m new to Docker…) after some config tweaking? From what I know, also my Hyper-V setup internally has that Docker-layer anyway?!

Is a fresh Docker install on the NAS followed by a backup/restore the better option? Which additional steps are required to not lose the whole history - which would be acceptable, but not preferable for the energy dashboard at least.

Thanks!

Just to make it clear, you are running now VM on Windows machine or VM with Docker with HA in Docker?!
Migrating from VM to VM is simple - you create backup and restore on VMM on Synology.
But thre is no direct migration path to go from VM (non-Docker) to Docker. Docker version of Home Assistant has option to backup, but not restore.

Thanks! Yes, I figured out that a Docker install does not support a restore and after reading up a lot about the different types of setup (Home Assistant vs. Supervised/former hass.io etc…). And now it all makes perfect sense to me, and although I’m losing some supervisor features like automatic updates as well as add-ons like my beloved File Editor & DuckDNS incl. Let’s Encrypt etc., I decided to go the full manual path and fill the gaps with other solutions (e.g. Code Editor available via HACS, …). So, long story short: In the end I created a backup on my VM, extrated all the tar/gz files and placed the configuration stuff inside the config folder of a fresh Docker install. Only a few tweaks here and there, mainly removing legacy SSL/duckdns config, and everything worked as before! That was easier than expected :wink: (yeah, I’m an IT guy, just was not familiar with Docker yet!)

And I have to say, I like this setup much more. Much sleeker than before and I don’t have to run the Windows machine all the time, while my Synology is running anyway.

1 Like